Baked Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Div

Senior Cook
Can anyone link me to a nice post about a good rack of baked beans ..

Thanks

Bill the Grill Guy's beans are pretty dang good.

Growing up we called these Ginnie Beans

One large can of Show Boat beans (24 servings)
One lb sausage, I like Jimmy Dean
One onion
One green pepper
1 tbs fennel seed
1/4 c brown suger
3/4 c ketchup
1/4 c viniger

Brown the sausage, add the onion pepper and fennel seed. Drain the beans, add to a 1/2 pan and combine all ingrediants. Bake covered at 350 for 45 min or until bubbly.

This recipe is from Keri C on another forum....they are GREAT!!

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
_____

Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc

Back
Top Bottom