ABT recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
ABT's=Atomic Buffalo Turds

There has been a little controversy regarding the naming of these addictive morsels. Sure, turd is not a word that most people want to mention while eating. Thus the term, A-B-T. I prefer wrapped japs, but they are recognized as ABT's.

This recipe started making it's rounds through the national barbecue circles just a couple of years ago,
and it has become a phenomenom. I personally have had three of my friends offer to pay me to make them, and they were'nt kidding.

Lets start with the basic recipe, and then talk about the myriad variations available.

ABT

jalapeno peppers
cream cheese
bacon
pulled pork barbecue

Using extreme caution (!), slice a pepper lengthwise and remove the stem. Once open, use a spoon or melon baller to remove the seeds and white inner membranes or veins. It is important to note that this is where the heat of the pepper lives. DO NOT rub your eyes while you have hot pepper juice on your hands. It's easy to do, and many of my bbq buddies have told me stories of going to the bathroom and relieving themselves while cutting peppers, only to find themselves in a painful and embarrassing situation!

Once you've got a bunch of half peppers in front of you, load 'em up with cream cheese (the softer the better) and pulled pork. Sprinkle with some of your favorite rub if you want to.

Now, take a slice of bacon and wrap it around the pepper, trying to hold the cheese and meat in. You can use a toothpick to secure the bacon wrap, although the bacon will usually stick to itself enough to hold it together.

Once you've got all the japs wrapped, put them on the smoker or grill until the bacon is crispy. Go low and slow with these babies so that the pepper will get tender. The cheese should not run out, but if a little
bit does, it's ok.

Remove from the grill and remove any toothpicks.
Eat. First you'll taste the wonderful rendered bacon, then a squirt of cream cheese and a bit of the barbecue.
Finally, a bit of heat from the jap kicks in. This is a
delectable experience of wonderfully melded flavors, all in a single appetizer.

Again, these are addictive. Some folks serve them with a side of bbq sauce for dipping. Some sprinkle more rub on them after cooking.

Now lets talk about the variations. Some use chedder cheese, or pepper jack. Use whatever lights your grill.
Some use chopped brisket, or cocktail weinies, smoked salmon, hamburger, ham, or shimp and pineapple in the cream cheese. Use you imagination, and post here when you hit on a winner.

Use the cheap bacon, the thinner the better. ABT's are cheap, but they are labor intensive. The end result is worth it. And just remember, wash those hands! Most folks, including me, use thin rubber gloves.

Here's mine...

tndoneabts.jpg

Wow! They sound great!

I see now that this poor li'l novice has been terribly mislead as to the true nature of ABTs.

I was told to use:

Scotch Bonnets
Filling mixture of: Ground pork, ground beaf, chopped tomatoes, chopped jalepenos, some dry rub, various other spices -which you then sautee and drain.. then add to that some cream cheese & freshly ground Pecorino.. stuff it in the hollowed out scoth bonnets -
Wrapped with bacon and then cooked on the grill.

Some people I know skip the bacon, batter these things in tempura batter and then deep fry 'em.

I haven't ever tried the tempura batter method - just stuffing 'em and grilling or baking them.

Hey Bob - I just clicked through all your photos and saw your Grilled Okra. What a great idea! Okra is one of those things that takes some getting used to.

Saveur did a huge write-up on various Okra dishes a few years ago and I think my favorite was their pickled Okra. Your photos gave me an idea. Maybe Pickled Okra would be even better if we fire-roasted the Okra first and THEN pickled it! You know, just like red bell peppers? Then I could pickle 'em with some garlic and maybe even jalepenos.

That's helpful to know Bob.

What I have in mind, however, is not to serve the grilled Okra as is. I'm thinking - wouldn't it add some nice flavor to a pickled Okra if first, I roasted it over a wood flame the way you fire-roast red bell peppers.. and THEN.. did the whole pickling routine? Fire-roasting veggies before pickling is a delicate manuever but worth doing. You have to be careful not to cook them all the way through to mush-city- just searing the skins well and softening them up a touch.

Now, I like my crunchy pickled Okra just fine for snacking, but.. if I fire-roasted them first, I could consider adding them to some Chow-Chow or using the softer pickled final product in a stew, a cold salad or a relish.

BTW:

You guys are evil - getting me thinking about all these great recipes. I have too much food in the house as it is! I'm going to buy some Pork Shoulder and Turkey Breast that are on sale today and I'm gonna have to freeze the turkey since we're still eating the BBQ Black-Eyed Peas, The Chile Verde and a pot of Tomato-Shrimp Chowder!

I figure I'll make pulled pork for BBQ wraps for hubbies lunches next week and then make a pulled pork Tamale Pie and/or pulled pork tortilla casserole. It's just the two of us - no kids. The neighbors sure eat well on my leftovers of late!

I read those pickled egg recipes and now I'm thinking - hmmmm...they might be a nice addition to Hubby's lunchbox. he's happy I found this site, that's for sure! he's just not sure he can keep up with everything I want to make.

I recorded that show yesterday but haven't watched it yet. What does he do to them? Obviously no stuffing....just grills em on a stick?

That's interesting - the idea of exposing the inside of the okra to air furst. I did try to fire-roast some okra and as I was warned, they didn't hold up very well. I'm gonna have to try that trick soon.

Poor l'il Okra - it's got such a strong flavor that it really is an acquired tatse or.. you have to have grown up eating it to appreciate it. My husband eats it, but it's not on his list of things he looks forward to. I, on the other hand, love it - especially put up in a light pickling brine with some hot peppers and garlic .

One thing I have found that helps prevent cooked okra of any type from being too slimy is to let the okra dry out a little before cooking it by just aging it in an uncovered bowl in the pantry. You have to make sure that you fdry the okra very thorougly after washing though and, you cannot be in a humid climate. Living in California, it's easy to age Okra naturally, but I would discourage folks in wetter climes from trying this. You can also achieve the same thing by buying it from your grocery stores cut out shelf in the back of the Produce section.

For pickled Okra, however, the fresher the Okra, the better.

Incidentally, I have finally mastered the skill of uploading my cooking photos to a free photo-hosting site so soon I will be including links to photos of my recipes.

Susan, I watched the episode, and the first thing that came to my mind was using the okra to make an abt type dealie. I don't mind the "slimeyness" so I'm thinking of cutting em open, stuffing with something, maybe wrapping with bacon.....thoughts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom