WOW.......Flat Irons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I have been eyeing these Swift Brand Cryovacked Flat Iron steaks in the store for several months, but was always skeptical and just knew they would be enhanced even though there's nothing stated on the labeling at all. Yesterday I went to the store and all the steaks were $11.99lb and the prepacked flat irons were $5.99lb. So me being the cheapskate I am, I decided to try them. I bought two packs that were about 1.30lbs each, both containing 1 flat iron. When I opened the package there was not alot of excess liquid, so I'm happy and my gut so far seems to be right. So I seasoned up with Kosher salt and black pepper and cooked for 3 minutes per side on a cast iron skillet. The steaks got a nice sear, without alot of excess moisture being produced like in enhanced meat.

The moment of truth came when I took my first bite.........It was like butter in my mouth. Extremely tender, lean and juicy with melt in your mouth goodness. Very similar to a sirloin which as you know is my favorite cut, but I think the sirloin had more beefy flavor.

Overall I was extremely happy and I think it's a great value as well. Next time you're in the store and you see 'Swift Flat Iron Steaks' I would highly recommend giving them a try. I've never had a Flat Iron before, so I don't know how they compare to a fresh butcher cut Flat Iron, but I loved these. I will try to get one from my butcher next trip and see!

Sorry, I didn't take pic's as I did not think the meal would be worthy....

We occasionally find them on sale for $4.99 and always buy several. I've never been disappointed. I cooked several a couple of months ago for a fajita party and they worked great - the butcher had recommended them over flank steak.

Scuse me but I aint paying 5 or 6 bucks a pound for chuck roast. Them Flat Iron steaks is a marketing gimmick to get dumb yups buying chuck roast for whut T bones should be costing. I only buy them out of the mark down bin. I go two bucks tops.

bigwheel

Well, around here when we get sirloin for $4.99lb it's a steal! Now I feel like the price of the flat irons isn't that bad.....considering I do not like the 'richer' (meaning more marbled cuts) cuts of meat like ribeye/porterhouse, etc.....just a personal preference. I prefer the leaner cuts like sirloin and top round, but now this really gives me another very good option! Personally, I'd pay $10.99lb for sirloin or (now flat iron) than I would a tenderloin, ribeye or porterhouse. Just a personal taste.

Seems Kroger has those on sale every other week around here. $5.99 lb. buy one get one free.

Warden has lugged home a few and they cooked up purty good. Now was they any mo betta than Choice Grade Chuck steaks from Sams or CAB from Tom Thumb? I don't think so. Those cook up nice too. Course I dont buy em cuz they too expunsive. Thats why I am a back slidden raw vegan at heart. Rabbit food is cheap and mo betta for a person's health..less it has ecoli or something like that in it. :roll:

bigwheel

In the market I run we sell the flat irons for $4.99lb and cant keep them out on the shelf. people doesnt understand that you only get 2 flat irons off a should clod. So when the shoulder clods are not on sale we dont have many. here are my top 3 (great value/great taste steak cuts) 1) chuck eyes 2) flat irons 3)tri tip steaks

Mike
SmokinRub.com - 15% off on ALL orders - use promo code "15thanks" at checkout

Back
Top Bottom