What's the deal with Beer Can Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
C,

I do butt can chickens on my grill vs. smoker. I think if you use the right mixture of beer and spieces it does add a unique flavor to the chicken...and it does look cool too :!:

Make sure to close the neck w/ an onion or potato or something...helps keep the cavity moist and locks the flavor in!

I think it's more of a novelty. I've tried it and to be honest with you IMO it doesn't compare to chicken done on a rotiserrie.

Cruising, i think it compares favorably with rotiss chicken as far as the moistness....it's more like a "wow factor" when you open up the grill and see those dancing chickens standing there! Guests who've never heard of it will think you're a genius.

Beer Can Chicken is Goo-ooo-ood!!!
Pit or grill indirect at about 275* for 3hrs.

BBchicks2.jpg

Susan Z said:
How do people do them on their weber grills without the rotis ring to give them enough clearance? That bird is TALL when it's standing there....!

Of course, my bro does it on his 18.5 weber by standing the chick down on the charcoal grate (like in a pie plate or something, putting the coals around the outside).

Your WSM will certainly give you the headroom that chicken will need. Just be sure to run it without the water pan and with ALOT of hot coals!

I love BCC. Keeps it nice and moist while ensuring your bird gets cooked thru from the inside, too. I've done beer can turkey (Fosters dark--yum) and beer can duck (tall boy budweiser). But now all birds go on my rotis.

Good point Susan, I keep forgetting that the rotisserie ring isn't a standard fixture of the Weber Kettle. Mine stays on permanently. Cruising you got to get you a rotiserie for your kettle.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... n&n=507846

Back
Top Bottom