We have all heard grilling can....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jminion1

Sous Chef
be harmful but here are some ways to cut the effects and allows us to eat grilled foods we love.

Marinate before grilling. It can reduce HCA formation in meat and fish by up to 99 percent. Herbs are helpful, too. Rosemary, garlic and sage may block the formation of both HCAs and PAHs in and on the food. Add the seasonings to light marinades or as ingredients to other dishes you serve with your grilled foods. A citrus or olive oil marinade can also counteract HCA buildup.

Think small. Smaller cuts spend less time over the flame than big slabs of meat. Flip them frequently, too. Turning meat over every minute greatly reduces HCAs. Use tongs to turn foods. “Puncturing meats with a fork may cause juices to flow and drip on to the coalsâ€

Don't take this the wrong way, but water can be harmfull too. Life is too short to worry about every little contaminant out there. I enjoy my food and will eat what tastes good. My family seems to be long lived and we have for generations been known for our feasts and none of us will ever be told we are under weight, if you know what I mean. But have been pretty healthy and cook on grills or in grease at a majority of our meals.
If you want to watch all the hazards of eating then thats great but as for me, when the good Lord calls I'll be ready and full. That is good info too. Again I'm not trying to tell you the info isn't wanted or appreiciated, I just hear how this, and that, and everything else is harmfull and want to say keep this in perspective, and remember us humans have survived for many centuries cooking over fire in far worse sanitary conditions and we aint died off yet.

Rooster
Folks that know me know that I'm not someone who doesn't eat grilled food because of health issues, but there are those that do. The information is simple and if it cuts the hazard by 90% plus it's worth it because I/we do enjoy grilled foods.

I do understand your point.

Jim

I didn't want to sound negitive, I just hear some people go overboard and it can make me nuts. I think we sometimes purify our environment so much we weaken a ability to combat some things. Just my opinion, and thanks for the info I really don't want to sound like I'm trying to poo poo the post.

Back
Top Bottom