Virgin Territory: Noob does ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redflea

Cook
OK...let the BBQ games begin!!

Ribs removed from vacuum pack, rinsed, trimmed, and membrane removed.

Rub split into four portions of 2 tablespoons for each side.

img_232300_0_258779dac79e64d599d998b18b02153b.jpg

Rub applied (all the oil and rubbing got me kinda going...may need to take a break and have a "nap" with my wife). ;-)

img_232300_1_4ef7639a96db6d0c4cf608a7f9ec3442.jpg

Got my water pans, and my wood chunks ready for deployment.

img_232300_2_3e39e0dcb8222ba8f98f1ecda581f441.jpg

Grill prepared...grates off, wood chunks (apple wood - about 8 oz total to start) positioned, pans in place w/water.

img_232300_3_94f8d9ed2e5943a4d7f902abb561c066.jpg

Grates back on. Oven thermometer positioned at rear of grill, cool new Thermoworks superfast probe thermometer and fresh bottle of Simmie J's Hickory BBQ Spicy sauce at the ready.

img_232300_4_bdfa38b73d49da42165bbd7e4797bd52.jpg

Damn...I've forgotten something really important...something critical to the process, something without which kings quail in fear and brave men weep.

Oh yeah, that's it.

beer.jpg

I think I'm good to go. :D

So any advice before I start the actual BBQ?

First time rib BBQ'ing common errors/screw-ups to avoid?

Planning on front burner only, aiming for 225 degrees, expecting about 3 hours. Ribs will be at room temp when I put 'em in.

Very excited, a little nervous (invited friends over to help us consume the results) and looking forward to this learning experience however it turns out.

I woudn't even open the grill for 2 1/2 hrs. I'd fiqure on a minimum of 3 hrs., but you'll know when the meat pulls back from the bone a bit. Have fun!

250* to 275* when u can grap a bone and twist it out its done. Oh- its done when its done.
U can try the 3-2-1 method to get u to the bone twist test.

bbquzz said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Leave that sauce alone until the last 10 - 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean the BBQ sauce don't you, cause I started drinking a while ago :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LOL...yeah, no sauce for the ribs until finishing time, plenty of "sauce" for me from start until finishing time. :D

About 1 1/2 hours in now...DYING to take a look at the ribs, next time gotta figure out a way to get a camera connected up so I can view the ribs cooking!

bbquzz said:
Nick Prochilo said:

You mean the BBQ sauce don't you, cause I started drinking a while ago :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Redflea said:
bbquzz said:
Nick Prochilo said:

LOL...yeah, no sauce for the ribs until finishing time, plenty of "sauce" for me from start until finishing time. :D

About 1 1/2 hours in now...DYING to take a look at the ribs, next time gotta figure out a way to get a camera connected up so I can view the ribs cooking!

That goes without saying. If your not sauced, you just can't cook! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;) ;) ;)

Nearing 3 hours...opened to check water and switched ribs front to back (not sure it mattered but one site included that step).

Plenty of water left, but smoke has stopped completely even though chunks are not used up - assuming the heat level on the burner wasn't enough to keep them going for some reason.

Measured temp (via hood thermometer and via oven probe hanging from warming grate) has been steady at about 230 for the entire time - temp management has been surprisingly easy.

Three hours is at 5:38 PM PST...so I assume I should use the "bend test" in a while...from amazingribs.com:

"...pick up the slab with a pair of tongs and bounce them slightly. If they are ready, the slab will bow until the meat starts to crack on the surface, as shown at right. A small crack means you need a little more time. It should be close to breaking when you lift the slab. You'll get the feel for this with practice."

bend_test.jpg

We ended up cooking them 5 hours on the grill unwrapped, then turned up to 380 - 390 for about an hour in foil.

First rack came off ('cause we couldn't wait to eat any longer) w/just a little time in the foil and while the meat was perfectly tender/juicy and tasty, it wasn't pulling off the bone easily. Family was still very happy.

From first rack
img_232324_0_c438630ba940dbfb35e30857d6f44288.jpg

Second rack came out of the foil (after an hour) pretty much perfect...meat releasing from the bone w/gentle pressure, moist and tender.

So overall successful, but I underestimated the cook time significantly based on the size/thickness of the ribs. Baby back my butt...next time look at the ribs in the package and not just the label... :)

From second rack
img_232324_1_54a6f75a8c78201fa9aacc75d0729757.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom