Tri Tip Pictured for a change!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
I still do plenty of cooking, but it has been forever since I posted any pictures. Seems I've been busting others chops over no pictures, but I haven't posted any myself so .... I have the butcher at my local Kroger get me 5 or 6 Tri Tips and then I freeze them. This morning my bride said she wanted Tri Tip so after thawing one, I rubbed it with the Suzie Q Santa Maria seasoning and let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, now ready to head to the Performer.

I hate that it gets so dark so early, this is my Fall set-up on the patio, so I can see what I 'm cooking.

On the indirect side for about 20 minutes, with some red oak.

I use my Maverick so I don't over shoot trying to get 125°,
my Maverick is off by about 5° from the Thermapen. Here it is ready to sear.

On direct for the Rempe Reverse.

After 2 minute sear on both sides, then a 10 minute rest under foil it is ready to slice.

I like to slice it very thin so I use my Chef's Choice electric slicer. My knife skills suck too, so the slicer really helps. (Sorry these pictures are so red, I need to take the Scotty photography course or maybe get a new camera.)

And here it is plated with sweet potato and fresh green beans.

Thanks for looking.

Very nice tri tip Buzz!!!! Cooking a tri tip is probably my favorite thing to cook, they taste great, the time it takes to cook one is just about right, and very little prep work

Vermin999 said:
Very nice tri tip Buzz!!!! Cooking a tri tip is probably my favorite thing to cook, they taste great, the time it takes to cook one is just about right, and very little prep work
I hate you. :?

Maybe not so much, if I could find tri tips around here. The once every 3rd Blue Moon or so that I can find them, they are reasonably priced, and are very good, no matter how I have cooked them. If they actually had more in stock, I'd probably fill the freezer.

BOB

Bob In Fla. said:
Maybe not so much, if I could find tri tips around here. The once every 3rd Blue Moon or so that I can find them, they are reasonably priced, and are very good, no matter how I have cooked them. If they actually had more in stock, I'd probably fill the freezer.

BOB
Bob get to the meat manage at you bigger grocery store and ask them to order it for you. I had to stand on the meat counter at my local Kroger, but now they will order it for me. I did talk with my local small butcher and he made several calls and none of his suppliers had it. I've been paying $5.99 a pound, not bad, but I'm thinking V and some of the other west-coasters have talked about $2.99-$3.99, not sure though, I 'm just happy I can get it. For the record this is what it is called, "Beef Choice Angus, Tri Tip Roast #9400." Good luck!

Yum! looks outstanding Buzz. If you ever get low on red oak I can FedEx ya some. I got butt loads in my back yard.

P.S. Thanks for supporting Susie Q.

Bob In Fla. said:
Vermin999 said:
I hate you. :?

BOB

Bob, When in doubt a small top sirloin roast is really really close. It's the tri tips close brother.

Back
Top Bottom