Thermometer on a Weber Kettle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
Thermometer on a Weber Kettle. Anybody done it? Thought about it?
I've been thinking about it for a while and now seems like a good time to do it.
Tel-Tru has a 15% off promotion through the end of the month on their BBQ thermometers. Just put in discount code # BBP705 when you go to the checkout.

Thinking about the BQ250 for the kettle. 2.5in face, 2.5in stem, 150*-750* temp range. $23.80 with the discount.

What you think?

Finney said:
The Joker said:
Didn't you just buy 2 ? ? :!:
Not two of those. LOL :grin:
Damn... you are everywhere. 8-[
As are you. :taunt:

I've thought about putting one in my Platinum lid ~ I'm just afraid I'll pull a Greg! 8-[

I just stick my Taylor down into the vent. It makes it so you can't use the hanger, but I usually just set the lid onto the chimney that's on top of the Smokey Joe anyway.

Kettle temp. guage

Go on the BBQGURU.com web site. they have a temp. guage for the kettle on there site. List for $25.00 plus UPS.

I bought the Tel-Tru grill thermometer yesterday. I'll be drilling the mounting hole as soon as it arrives and I figure exactly where I want it mounted. Also bought one of the smoker therms with the "glow in the dark" dials.
As I mentioned earlier... 15% off, and they don't charge for regular shipping. :grin:

Finney, where did you mount the thermometer? I'm with Jeff. I don't want it to interfere with anything.

Sorry... I forgot I left you guys hanging on this one. :)

I measured how far the damper was mounted out from the base of the handle brkt and it was 2 3/4". So that was my starting point. Looking at it for a while I decided to go 3" from the handle brkt on the opposite side.

My thinking was that when grilling indirect, my coals will be on two sides of the kettle and the vent and the therm would be between them on the opposite sides of the kettle.

Seems to work fine so far, but I haven't put a turkey in there since mounting it. Should be fine with beer can chicken or most anything else.

At least Christmas isn't too far away. Maybe Santa will bring you one.

Did you do anything special to drill the lid?

Put masking tape on the area, marked it with pen.
Drilled small pilot hole.
Drilled, 5/16" hole.

The Tel-Tru grill thermometers use a small clip to hold them in place. So it's not a huge hole like I drilled in the WSM for it's therm. That one was either 3/4" of 7/8"... I don't remember.

I'd like to add another vote for simply sticking a thermometer in a vent hole. I bought a $4 replacement thermometer for a gas grill.....fits nicely...and I can close the vent 1/2 way.....which is fine.

For bigger projects....I use the meat thermometer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom