Steak Marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
I always let steaks sit at room temp for an hour or so with a little olive oil, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and garlic salt on them. Having never used a marinade on steaks I was intrigued by one that is equal parts Gravy Master, Soy Sauce, Water, and crushed garlic. I mixed it up and put it into a big zip lock baggie with a Choice Sirloin for 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Sitting at room temp

Off the grill and resting

Very good, it's a keeper.

Diva -- Gravy Master is a "browning and seasonng" sauce along the lines of Kitchen Bouquet -- which I believe has penetrated as far as our Neighbors to the North.

John -- the marinade which I find most enhances beef is equal parts red wine and worcestershire sauce. You don't need much. After fifteen minutes or so with the meat the marinade will take on a syrupy consistency which is a) normal; and b) desirable. The meat may be left in the marinade for as short a period as 20 minutes or as long as overnight -- depending on the degree of penetration desired.

Marinate the meat in a pan, after the marinating period is over, pour off the excess marinade and apply the rub to the meat's still damp surfaces. I prefer what has come to be known as a "Montreal" style rub, but is in fact, very California and typical of the central coastal valleys like the Santa Maria and Santa Ynez.

4 tbs kosher salt
2 tbs mild chile (such as California chilei ); or paprika; or blend a hotter chile such as chipotle or New Mexico with sweet paprika
2 tbs fresh ground black pepper
1 tbs granulated garlic
1 tbs granulated onion
1/2 tsp white pepper or chile de arbol (optional)
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp thyme

Well in my heart of hearts..I dont think a decent steak needs marinating in nothing..let alone that stuff yall speaking of here. Just my itchy knee sun she yen type thang. :D

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom