stainless steel vs porcelain-coated cast iron grate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rufuscobb

Assistant Cook
Which is better? I'm looking at the Weber Genesis E-310 vs S-310. I like black over stainless (the look and the price), but the black has porcelain-coated cast iron grates, which I assume aren't as good at the stainless rods on the S-310. Am I wrong?

I've gathered that stainless rods heat quicker, clean eaiser, last longer, and are more resistant to rust. The only "benefit" I see to porcelain is that the food bits left behind from lack of good cleaning act as seasoning for your next session. And perhaps porcelain/cast iron holds heat a little longer, but who wants a hot grill after you've turned the propane off? I like my grill clean.

Opinion appreciated!

-Rufus

Think I be tempted to vote for the porcelain on cast. Look at some of the high dollar yup cooking pots called La Cuset brand. Same principle and cost an arm and leg.

I had stainless grates and everything always stuck until I let them get good and "seasoned" like cast iron. You can't really season stainless, so I guess it was just cruddy.

Now, I just like plain-old-carbon steel. Keeps seasoning just like cast iron and is bunches cheaper than stainless. I've never used porcelain coated, but it shouldn't rust unless the coating gets cracked or chipped.

BOB

I would go with stainless steel, I have a Weber Genesis which I have replaced the bars on because I turn the grill on full blast to get the grill nice and hot, 500+. Then I scrape the grill with a wire brush to clean the bars from the previous cook. With the screaming hot bars and an aggressive brushing eventually the original bars developed a curve. This was enough of a curve to crack enamel after only a few years. That's my experience. Are there cast iron grates which will fit a Weber Genesis, I would love to try those.

dledmo - did you replace the original grate with stainless, or did you go enamel on cast again? The stainless grate for the Genesis are $80. I might go that way. Price of the Genesis E-310 +$80 is still less than the Genesis S-310.

Well cared-for cast iron is pretty awesome. My camp cookware has lasted forever. Only takes a little oil now and again. I live in the desert so maybe why I'm not worried about rust. If you're cooking in the cold air, the cast iron will retain the grate temp a little better while your turning your product. Same goes for getting grill marks on the second side, especially if your grill is full enough that you have to turn "in-place".

My originals were stainless and I replaced with the same. The grill I had previous, not a Weber, had a ceramic covered grate and the enamel did crack. When I mentioned cast iron I would like to go with straight cast iron with no enamel.

Back
Top Bottom