Smokey Mountain Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drousseau11

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, hope all is well. I'm looking to purchase a Weber Smoky mountain Grill (18.5") . I've seen on ebay that they make a gasket kit for the door and the levels. Would those gaskets make the smoker efficient as far as keeping the heat? Thanks

First thing first, a Weber Smoky Mountain (WSM) is a smoker not a grill and the gasket is not necessary for the door. The Door does leak but doesn't effect the smoker as the WSM is a very efficient and easy to maintain temps on.

Thank's for the information. Great website. I picked up my WSM today, can't wait to get it going.

Btw, that's a great cooker, but (like most) comes with a crappy thermometer. A good place to start if you want to upgrade it.

X 5 on the what they said.

After the thermometer, these things are a little pricey but I'm almost to the point of getting one...You'd have both hands free without putting the lid down in the grass or on the table.

Custom WSM Hinge

Well that is too cute. I set my lid on top of the 55 gallon barrel which is the home of the electric brinkmann when not in use. Us old retired folks cant afford the high dollar WSM cookers.

The electric Brinkmann is one of the best cookers $75 bucks can buy. I have 2, and although the Lang 60 is my workhorse, the brinkmann's help keep me in business. I hate telling people that we're out of food everyday, but it's a good problem to have!

Great problem to have. There was a mom n pop sandwich place up here with a very good rep who quit selling when the bread ran out which usually happened about 1 PM. The smart folks hit it at 11 AM.

B-Dub, we run out of burnt ends at about 11:30 everyday. Usually run out of everything else by 1. Still people get mad at me when we're out of food at 1:05. They yell at me! I'm sorry, I'm doing my best! It's a truck, I can only carry a 100 pounds of meat! If you're smart you come early!

Axe, I sell a lot of brisket! That's a good question though. I imagine you could get just point, I've never tried, but I've wondered, if every butcher and supermarket is selling just the flat, what are they doing with the point?

Brisket points are sometimes ground up for hamburger. Much better flavor than ground chuck, but each cow has lots more chuck on it.

Not sure of the cost effectiveness of buying briskets in separate chunks. From chatting with some comp cooks over the years it seems like the smart money is on buying packers and cutting off the point yourself..for them who wants it off. Hey Boozer..not sure how you make your burnt ends but from clowning around over the years found that separating the two hunks and putting the point on the upper rack with an upside down Aluminum pan or half pan over the top of the point crisps it up very good and allows the extra fat to drip onto the flat below. They both get done at about the same time. It really puts some extra heat on the point.

Back
Top Bottom