Smokey Joe Vent Modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Finally got around to adding a vent to my Smokey Joe. I didn't have a big enough bit, so I worked the hole a bit with the 1/4" bit, so it looks rough. I will get a 5/8" bit this weekend and clean up the holes, but this should work fine for the chuck eyes tonight! More pic's and steps at The Wolfe Pit

img_206638_0_fded556185650dc4de7180687a3eda4c.jpg

Nick Prochilo said:
What do you have to contro; the air flow?

Yes, for some reason Weber put the vents on the Smokey Joe Golds on the sides, versus 'under' the fire. So the coals would not get very hot. With the added airflow, it should help.

Puff said:
Nick Prochilo said:
What do you have to contro; the air flow?
3 shabby looking drilled holes. :mrgreen:

If you read it Dummy, I said I 'worked' the holes bigger because I only had a 1/4" bit.....and further along I said I would get a 5/8" bit this weekend to clean up the holes.....why am I explaining this to you.....you cook in a garbage can! :mrgreen:

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2madbzv8]What do you have to contro; the air flow?
3 shabby looking drilled holes. :mrgreen:

If you read it Dummy, I said I 'worked' the holes bigger because I only had a 1/4" bit.....and further along I said I would get a 5/8" bit this weekend to clean up the holes.....why am I explaining this to you.....you cook in a garbage can! :mrgreen:[/quote:2madbzv8]
Sold the trash can. :mrgreen:
You get the bit or what? I want to do the same thing to my SJ.

Puff said:
Sold the trash can. :mrgreen:
You get the bit or what? I want to do the same thing to my SJ.

I know, I was just busting your tiny marbles.

After looking at the holes yesterday again, even though they're smaller than the holes on the vents.....I think I'm gonna cook on it a couple times before I make the holes bigger. It's a small grill really only needs a little more airflow.....so once the weather gets somewhat decent, I'll fire it up and let you know how the current holes work.

Nick Prochilo said:
Larry, do you have a way of controling the air flow threw the new air holes?

Yes, Nick....if you click on the link in the post where it says there's more pic's of the modification you would see.....

I installed a spare WSM replacement vent I had laying around. Here's the link to The Wolfe Pit AGAIN! :roll:

Did you use a stainless steel nut and bolt Larry? Just wondering, cuz I have to replace a vent on one of my WSMs. Can't help but think stainless would be the way to go.
Thanks

Pigs

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3uhgo3yc]Larry, do you have a way of controling the air flow threw the new air holes?

Yes, Nick....if you click on the link in the post where it says there's more pic's of the modification you would see.....

I installed a spare WSM replacement vent I had laying around. Here's the link to The Wolfe Pit AGAIN! :roll:[/quote:3uhgo3yc]
Why can't you just post the results of your modification here so we don't have to wander from our "modified" site?

Puff said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3u00uj3y]Larry, do you have a way of controling the air flow threw the new air holes?

I installed a spare WSM replacement vent I had laying around. Here's the link to The Wolfe Pit AGAIN! :roll:
Why can't you just post the results of your modification here so we don't have to wander from our "modified" site?[/quote:3u00uj3y]

Is it that hard to click on the link? If so, don't bother.

BTW, I attempted to cook chicken last night on the SJ with the mod......got the temps up to 550º, so the vents helped in that respect. Got the temps down to 400º, added the chicken to the indirect side, put the lid on, closed the top and bottom vents 50%, went inside, came out 20 minutes later and my fire was out. More R&D required at this point.....

Puff said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":4qpzzgw2]Larry, do you have a way of controling the air flow threw the new air holes?

Why can't you just post the results of your modification here so we don't have to wander from our "modified" site?[/quote:4qpzzgw2]
My thoughts exactly! ;)

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
Why can't you just post the results of your modification here so we don't have to wander from our "modified" site?
My thoughts exactly! ;)

Either don't read my posts or use the ignore feature if you're going to complain about my posts. You just wanna bitch about something.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":r6roe0mk]
Puff said:
My thoughts exactly! ;)

Either don't read my posts or use the ignore feature if you're going to complain about my posts. You just wanna bitch about something.[/quote:r6roe0mk]

Girls, Girls--step back and catch your breath. No need to pull hair and scratch either. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom