Smoke Flavor on a Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DannyTX

Cook
About all of the older grills had lava rocks and you could pile up some wood chunks for smoke flavor. Now I guess all of the newer grills have these upside down "V" shaped domes to protect the burners. I have found some expanded metal mesh type material to put over these burner "domes". What are you doing now for smoke flavor?

Guy next door uses http://bbqrsdelight.com/ in his gas grill. Makes a foil pouch about the size of a post card and makes a hole in the middle of it with a tooth pick. You only need a hand full, it works. I have tried it with wood chips,that works too. I went indirect with a foil pan under the meat on the grill side with burner off. Foil pack goes right on the other side where the fire is. Give it a try. I have seen and used all kinds of those stainless steel smoker boxes, but why spend the cash when foil works just as well. I think the pellets work better.
Your mileage may vary.

Pigs

Well I take a dead small diameter 1" or so limb off the peecan tree and break it till it fits over all three burners cross wise. I wrap the log in foil and punch a few holes it and stretch it across there up closest to the control panel section. My little upside down channel iron tent things rusted/burned up several years back. Dont seem to have hurt it none so far. I am gonna get some new ones some day.

Before my large gasser melted, I used a steal box with wood chips in it placed over one of the burners. It was a large grill with 5 burners so I always had extra space for grilling and smoking. Damn thing overheated one night will trying to cook some pizzas and almost burnt the house down. Went to Weber charcoal grills after that and everything about BBQ has been better since.

I found the old square white lava rocks with holes in them put two on the flavor bars in the middle front of my grill drop wood chips on top and let them smoke away, you can still buy them by the box. bee doing this for years.

I've been trying the foil packet method but the whole thing eventually bursts into flames (even with the burner set to low). I soaked the chips for a couple hours before use. I miss my old smoker but couldn't take it with me when I moved into my apartment. :(

madbaldman said:
I've been trying the foil packet method but the whole thing eventually bursts into flames (even with the burner set to low). I soaked the chips for a couple hours before use. I miss my old smoker but couldn't take it with me when I moved into my apartment. :(
As soon as the packet starts to smolder, shut the burner off underneath it.

I'll give that a try next time. Thanks! If I can get even a little bit of smokey flavor, I won't miss my smoker quite so much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom