Sloppy chicken (first cook with Stubbs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckBBQSmoker

Senior Cook
Did my first cook using Stubbs briquettes in my kettle. Haven't used it before for the simple reason of no place near me sells it. I have three home depot's in the area and none of them carry it. My father happened to be in a Lowes about a hour from me and knew I was looking for it. I have to say the stuff is great! It smelt great when it first starts to catch (unlike K blue). I normally only use lump again because could find stubbs near me and I don't like the chemical smell from K blue when it first lights. One thing I was surprised about though is I heard a lot of people saying there is not a lot of ash but I beg to differ...there was a lot of ash. Now it could have seemed like a lot to me since I normally use lump which is basically no ash and haven't used briquettes in a long time (probably since labor day). I only used what was in the chimney starter though. Nothing else. I was happy at the length of the burn though! I cooked, ate, cleaned and which there wasn't a ton left of the briquettes, it was still plenty hot and probably only 70-75% burned.

Anyway I was doing other things while cooking so I don't have any "action" shots but here are a couple pics:

img_236923_0_5724cf6c2418c81bf5ec08d9a1739d28.jpg

Sun was setting behind the houses...some guy was fishing in the channel all day...that's smart!

img_236923_1_9ac5763c1132df50d448f3169c5e7e5f.jpg

plated pic

img_236923_2_07d3eb4ba899d67d36583c2da5a9d18c.jpg

and a close up

Used a dry rub, applied some stubbs original towards the end and then right when I pulled it off. My wife likes the rubs but prefers the sauce.

Thanx for looking.

The chicken looks great!! I use Stubbs and like a lot. I have a lowes here in town and and last week thay had it for 4.25 15lb. bag. I just wish I had more money to stock up.

Stubb's is my go-to briquet. I use it in my Performer and mix in a few lumps of mesquite for added flavor. I'm generally barbecuing 5 nights out of the weed so I go through a bag a week. It's the best briquet I've used.

Back
Top Bottom