Shrimp Kabobs in Ginger (and garlic!) marinade - excellent!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redflea

Cook
Tried this marinade last night - it turned out excellent. Flavor is very good but not overpowering, you still get to enjoy the taste of the shrimp as well.

Modifications:

1. We were rushed for time, so I skipped the cooking the marinade and basting with it. The shrimp came out crisp and juicy and very tasty, and we didn't miss having a marinade/sauce at all. Next time I will try it w/the cooked down marinade to see how that changes the experience.

2. Since we weren't going to cook/baste I left the oil out of the marinade. Didn't seem to have any negative affects on the results.

3. Didn't skewer alternating shrimp and vegetables - I used the method of skewering shrimp where you butt them up against each other front-to-back, tails overlapping the previous shrimp, creating a kind of larger mass shrimp-patty, as recommended in the weber grilling site - that worked very well. My wife had made a separate stir fry for veggies...

4. Left out the cilantro. I can't stand cilantro...taste gives me the heebeejeebees...just my personal hell, don't let it bother you. :)

We were using this to finish up some shrimp left over from another meal, and only had about 12 smallish shrimp (maybe around 2" or so in length stretched out w/out heads). I made about 1/4 portion of the marinade, which turned out to be plenty, reducing quantities of everything appropriately except the garlic, crushed a couple of small cloves in our garlic press.

Recommend giving this a try...I suspect the marinade would be excellent with many types of seafood. I know we'll be using this again...I'm thinking this could be great with Ono.

Sorry about the lack of pics, but as noted we were in hurry-up mode, cook/eat/hurry out the door to the show and I just never even thought about pics in the rush.

Shrimp Kabobs in Ginger Marinade

Source: Weber
Prep time: 10 minutes
Grilling time: 6 minutes
Main Ingredient: 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 tablespoon(s) Minced ginger
1 Minced garlic clove
1/4 cup(s) rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup(s) lime juice
2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
1/4 cup(s) oil
1 tablespoon(s) sesame oil
1 tablespoon(s) chopped cilantro
2 pound(s) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 bunch scallions, cut into 1" lengths
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1" dice and blanched

In a large bowl, whisk together ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, oil, sesame oil, and cilantro. Add the shrimp. Toss to coat shrimp; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Remove shrimp from marinade. Pour marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for one full minute. Remove from heat.

Alternately thread shrimp, scallions, and peppers on skewers. Place skewers in center of cooking grate.

Grill 4 to 6 minutes until shrimp turn pink and opaque, turning once halfway through grilling time, and basting with reserved marinade. Serve warm over rice or Chinese noodles.

Makes 6 servings.

Nick Prochilo said:
Redflea, we have a rule around here, No Pic = No Cook!

You're right - here you go! :D

images

Next time I promise no shortcuts!

Toby keil said:
Sounds good, would love to see some cooking and plated pics.

Yeah, I get that. ;-)

Believe me, I won't post again w/out photo documentation...it's not like I haven't said it a bunch of times myself in other forums I frequent...pics or it didn't happen! :)

Back
Top Bottom