Royal Oak Briquettes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm on my second bag of Royal Oak briquettes after finding 18lb bags on sale at Wegmans for $5 something each. I hate it and would prefer dealing with the ash from Kingsford if I need to used briquettes for now on. Why? I find it's hard to light compared to Kingsford Briquettes and RO Lump, it stinks when I first light it and again, it's hard as hell to light and does not seem to get very hot.

I love an regularly used RO Lump with no issues and Kingsford Briquettes with no issues and Stubbs with no issues.

Has anyone else had any problems with RO Briquettes or did I just get two maybe damp bags and that's why they were so cheap?

I have never used the Royal Oak briquettes but I used their lump for the first time yesterday for a couple of pork butts. It seemed to burn quicker than what I've used in the past, Frontier lump from Lowe's Home Improvement Center. It could have been other variables that caused the quicker burn time but I was curious if you have had a similar experience with it.

Never used Royal Oak Briq....Have you ever tried Green Egg lump or Wicked Good lump....I have been testing both out and kinda leaning towards Gree Egg as the best. Very smoky.

Mc

davemc said:
Never used Royal Oak Briq....Have you ever tried Green Egg lump or Wicked Good lump....I have been testing both out and kinda leaning towards Gree Egg as the best. Very smoky.

Mc

Yes, and I'll stick with Royal Oak lump due to the big price difference!

I have only used Royal Oak lump....I like it because it burns good, with little ash....I try to be all lump all the time. This side of the country...Cowboy lump seems to have the market for lump in the bag lol. dunno how cowboy did this, but I buy it ...every week almost, but I will say It has tons of rocks, trim, as in real trim from houses, I have seen plywood, blocks....I hate it lol, and love it at the same time. That is why when I see Royal Oak at Walmart..I buy 6 bags LOL. As for there Briquettes it has to be better then cowboy hahahaha.

Try Stubbs, Humphrey's, or Rancher/Trader Joes. I use nothing else when in need of charcoal and all three are excellent.

Uncle Bubba said:
Try Stubbs, Humphrey's, or Rancher/Trader Joes. I use nothing else when in need of charcoal and all three are excellent.

I wish Rancher would push to get their product in other than Trader Joes. In my short BBQ life I found it it be the best I've used, but it is a 50 mile trip to Trader Joes, so it is RO for me :D

Seems like I read somewhere that Royal Oak is the supplier for Green Egg Lump. Anyone heard that?

Mc

davemc said:
Seems like I read somewhere that Royal Oak is the supplier for Green Egg Lump. Anyone heard that?

Mc

I've heard that too, but do not know for sure.

Royal Oak Briquettes are hurrible. Give about half the burn times and at least as much ash as Kingsford. I would not take some if it was free.

bigwheel

Haven't used Royal Oak briquettes, always like their Lump though. When I use
bricquettes I only buy Stubb's now. Burns clean, uniformly & nice & hot. Picked up
a bag of Kroger lump this weekend (out of laziness, didn't want to go to another store).
I was surprisingly pleased with it.

8)

At one time Kroger store brand briquettes was rumored to be an old fashioned and mo betta version of something or other. I forget right now. I tried em a few times. Sure put off some nasty black smoke as they was trying to get lit or if you added some. Would definitely preburn some of the nasties out of em or be prepared to fan the firebox door when some got added.

bigwheel

Publix store brand lump down here. Low ash, good aroma, no trash and no pops and bangs like Cowboy.
My bag of Stubb's briquettes are distributed by Cowboy Charcoal LLC of Tennessee! Is that the same company that produces Cowboy lump?

We Get Rancher out here at OSH its good and are the longest burning hardest lighting briquette. Don't like RO Lump. Burns too fast and puts a yuck flavor on my chicken if not fully lit when cooken on it. Thanks for the info Larry. We got RO Briqs all over out here and I just haven’t gotten em since I don't like RO lump. My favorite is Stubbs. Smells like wood burning and we get 20 + hours in our UDS's on a 15 lb bag. K has some great flavor but stinks stinks stinks. We just did a comp and the air was filled with beautiful aromas of Oak, Red Oak, Hickory, Cherry, Almond and Maple. Then the guy in the next camp over fired up two 22.5 WSMs with K and ruined the whole evening :LOL: :LOL:

Larry, I tried RO briquettes, but I didn't like them for the same reasons you described. I second the Rancher at Trader Joe's. $6.99 for 18 lbs isn't bad for what you get and it doesn't smell

I'm a BGE dealer and my rep told me for a fact that their lump is manufactured by Royal Oak.

I've been using the Egg lump because it's delivered to me wholesale. I would like to know the price of a large bag of the RO. We're getting $29.95 for the BGE lump and I really think that's a very high price.

mar52 said:
I'm a BGE dealer and my rep told me for a fact that their lump is manufactured by Royal Oak.

I've been using the Egg lump because it's delivered to me wholesale. I would like to know the price of a large bag of the RO. We're getting $29.95 for the BGE lump and I really think that's a very high price.

That is EXTREMELY HIGH!! I can get a 20lb bag of Royal Oak Lump from the Roof Center for $11 and some change. 10lb bags from Walmart for $5 and some change.

mar52 said:

Restaurant Depot Carries the same size bag 20 lbs for $10. Walmart carries the 10 lb bag for $6.50. BGE lump is a rip off!

Well neva used non of the BGE stuff but have used RO lump in times past and did not notice anything horrible wrong with it. My old chum Big Dave relgiously uses kingsford mesquite flavor briquettes to whup a bunch of booty at the area contests. I've had my chicken sooted up by every brand of charcoal on the market and the only one which will not be krewlish to a person in that regard is Ozark Oak. It burns fairly quick but clean. just right for cluckers.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom