Roasted Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
Lit up some Blue K. I know I know,,,,,, it sucks but I love the flavor it doesn't give poultry. Lump always gives my turkey and chicken a weird flavor. Painted a 6 lb roaster with melted butter and some Hawaiian Chicken Rub. Served with some rice a roni, grilled corn and croissants.

Great lookin' plated picture Mike, super lookin' chicken and that first picture, firing up the K is pretty cool. What's with the bottle of Bud Light, thought your beer came out of the kitchen wall :D

Smokey Lew said:
Hey Mike, I thought you were a Stubb's man. Did you go over to the "dark side" for a lousy promotion? :roll:

When I cook chicken I have to use about 7 lbs of charcoal on each side to get that big drum up to temp. I like to cook at 450 475 when I roast chicken to get extra crispy skin. Stubbs is costly. But Yes it's Stubbs for briquettes, Mesquite lump for steak fish and veggies. Royal Oak or Stubbs for competition.

Vermin999 said:
Great looking chicken!! I was wondering about the bottled beer too.

Over the past year or so. Kegs have gone up to $105. You can get the same amount of beers in bottles for about $80 and Cans for about $70. The Tap is always flowing but It's for that Friday night just getting home from work Aaaaaaahh. Or with a good choice rib eye...... :D I cannot find Corona in Kegs north of the border so that you will also see in a bottle.

Great point about some brands of lump is too sooty for chicken. Near all the Mejico stuff black it up some...also to include B&B which is supposed to be made in Tejas. Must be run by yankees is all I can figger out on that deal. For serious charcoal cooking of dead chickens nothing can top Ozark Oak..from Yellville, Arkansas. It's actually in Snow..but Yellville apparently looks catchier in print. Most likely hard to find for folks in Sunny CA. Big Dave and his small son Big Brad won a bunch of money on chicken using the regular old Kingsford Mesquite Flavor briquettes.

Yep all we got out here besides high taxes is Kingsford, Cowboy (which I like the new blend) Royal Oak and Mesquite Lump. Oh and that bend you over RIP OFF BGE for like $3000 a bag. I use mesquite lump for just about everything grilling that is. If it’s completely ashed over you don’t get too much flavor on chicken parts. We use Stubbs mostly in comps in our UDS’s. Harry Soo wins every fricken contest our here with Blue K.

Have tried letting lump ash over in times past and have found by the time it reaches that point the heat production is gone...and its time to add more. My general strategy is to fire it up and when it quits stinking and putting out funny looking smoke..and the pit gets to temp its time to start cooking. When it comes time to add some I fan the firebox door a few times or even leave it standing open for a while till the new addition clears up. Lot of ways to skin a cat I guess:)

I was grazing here looking for an idea for dinner tonight and think we have a winner! Nicely done. I have one of those racks in a basting pan that I have never used. Great idea using it in the grill. Gonna have to try that. I imagine that too is one of Cappy's inventions!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom