Road Side Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry, could you give me a little detail on method for rsc. In you pic it looked like you were using a combo of direct and indirect at the same time.

Is there a need to rotate everything around?

How many flips does it take to get to the end of a roadside chicken?

I plan on doing this next week. My kettle needs some love :D

Thanks for filling me in

Cliff, since Bryan is the one that turned most people on to this I went to his post for the directions.

I apply the sauce every15 min to both sides and turn every 15 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it.

Recipe is also there (poultry recipes). :!:

Cliff you just can't baste the chicken enough in my opinion! The aroma from the marinade dripping on the coals is intoxicating. You'll need to make 2-3x what the recipe calls for in order to have enough to cover and baste the chicken. I use apple cider vinegar because I like the flavor better, this is just a personal taste.

I liked my results better on the WSM vs. the Kettle. I just removed the water pan and started with 1/2 chimney of Kingsford lit ontop of about another 3/4 chimney unlit. The WSM really cuts down on the charring from the flare ups as well. I don't use any wood for this.

Cliff H. said:
I am thinking rotating from direct to indirect.

This should cook around an hr or so. You think?

That will work, that's how I did mine on the kettle. Just make sure when you baste it's over the coals. You'll get flare ups, just put the lid on soon after basting and the flames will suppress. [/list]

This may just be a brain fart but I am thinking of modifying the warming rack from my Chargriller (that will never be used) into a rack for the kettle. Raising the birds up 2-4 inches. This may cut down on charring. We will see.

Cliff H. said:
This may just be a brain fart but I am thinking of modifying the warming rack from my Chargriller (that will never be used) into a rack for the kettle. Raising the birds up 2-4 inches. This may cut down on charring. We will see.

That would work or you could just buy another grate for the kettle and get some all thread, washers and nuts to make the extension. I think Bruce did an additional grate on his WSM using that method.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Cliff H.":qf3dloh9]This may just be a brain fart but I am thinking of modifying the warming rack from my Chargriller (that will never be used) into a rack for the kettle. Raising the birds up 2-4 inches. This may cut down on charring. We will see.

That would work or you could just buy another grate for the kettle and get some all thread, washers and nuts to make the extension. I think Bruce did an additional grate on his WSM using that method.[/quote:qf3dloh9]

Yep, I sure did.

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":qnhdblfx][quote="Cliff H.":qnhdblfx]This may just be a brain fart but I am thinking of modifying the warming rack from my Chargriller (that will never be used) into a rack for the kettle. Raising the birds up 2-4 inches. This may cut down on charring. We will see.

That would work or you could just buy another grate for the kettle and get some all thread, washers and nuts to make the extension. I think Bruce did an additional grate on his WSM using that method.[/quote:qnhdblfx]

Yep, I sure did.[/quote:qnhdblfx]

Bruce if you have the pic's would you mind posting them in the Mod Section!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom