Reverse Sear vs. Normal Sear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting that they came out identical. I think maybe the forward sear could stay on the infrared longer and then straight to rest on a plate.. I would eat both of those steaks in a heart beat!!!! Good video and grill work!!

:D

Hiya Sap.

They were so thick...the previous time I got these I did them perfect. Unfortunately my guest was a prick. Oh well.

So you think searing them and just letting it sit? It would be blue in the middle, and that wasn't my goal.

Ideas?

BeeRich said:
Hiya Sap.

They were so thick...the previous time I got these I did them perfect. Unfortunately my guest was a prick. Oh well.

So you think searing them and just letting it sit? It would be blue in the middle, and that wasn't my goal.

Ideas?

Use a meat thermometer to avoid over cooking. Or learn to check em by touch

Anyone watch the Food Network with Alton Brown?

He did a show on beef and did a top sirloin using the reverse seer in the oven. He started with the sirloin on the center rack of an oven on broil cooking for a few minutes per side. Then, move the rack up to the second from the element and cook it on each side again for a shorter period of time. Very educational and it looked tasty too!

-Chiles

BeeRich said:
I will be doing another reverse sear today or tomorrow. It's just got to be done.

For the full benefit of a 'reverse sear', set your grill to 245º-260º, put the cold meat on the grill, close the lid. Monitor the internal temp until you get to 100º-105º (if more than rare to med-rare doneness is desired continue cooking to 110º-115º), remove the meat from the grill and loosely tent with foil. Crank the heat on the grill to 400º-450º (extreme heat is not necessary) and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes depending on the thickness until you get an internal temp of 125º for rare, temps will climb 2º-3º after you remove. Let the meat rest 5-10 minutes (longer for thicker cuts) before slicing. If done correctly, when sliced the rareness should be the thickness of the steak and there should be minimal 'grey' outter edges.

BeeRich said:
OK, what do I do with an infrared burner then?

Can you adjust the heat on your grill to get as low as 250º? If you can't, put the steak directly on your oven rack (not on a pan, it will steam the meat) at 250º, then when it's ready for the sear, take it to the grill for the sear.

The left side, yes. The current sear method was around 250, which takes some time. I will use a thermometer and run your numbers through.

It will be tomorrow as it's windy and chilly out there today.

Yeah I saw those pictures before.

Have you ever had a steak at The Keg called The Baseball, done Chicago style? Chicago and Pittsburgh are similar, with the inside being medium and rare. From Wikipedia:

A style exists in some parts of North America called "Chicago". A Chicago-style steak is cooked to the desired level and then quickly charred. The diner orders it by asking for the style followed by the doneness (e.g. "Chicago-style rare"). A steak ordered "Pittsburgh rare" is rare or very rare on the inside and charred on the outside. In Pittsburgh, this style is referred to as "black and blue" (black, i.e. sooty on the outside, Blue rare on the inside).

In Taiwan, a numeric system is used: 0 means raw and 10 means well done.

I like it Chicago. They flame the grill with butter.

BR how do like your steak cooked? Or what range are you shooting for?
Rare MR Med ect?

I like it medium. I don't like blue. I've seen your stuff on Youtube. Also, I did just as the instructions said. Meat to 110 inside 250 bbq, then cover, then sear. Voila.

Back
Top Bottom