Reverse Sear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Since I've been promoting the "Reverse Sear" (aka: Finney Method) :roll: here lately I wanted to show the results and the advantages of doing it this way. These pic's are of a London Broil we cooked at SOTB. It was rubbed down with WRB and cooked indirect on the raised grate (on the left) until it hit 100*, then finished on the bottom grate (on the left) until it hit 120*-125*. It rested for about 15 minutes then sliced. Notice the uniform rareness, versus grey bands around the outter parts of the meat and then rare in "just" the center grilling the conventional method. Also notice the moisture from this very lean cut of meat. That's all of the natural juices.

Im convinced. :D

This method has my attention for sure. I haven't used my grill in a while but when I do, I am giving this a try.

Looks great Larry. ;)

Larry Your London Broil looks marvalous & I would love to dive in for seconds. I like a darker crust than your pics show & I like a crisp bark too.
Using the reverse sear It would be hard to achive a darker crisp crust & not overshoot a 120deg rare internal. My favorite steak is to duplicate a Ruth Criss steakhouse type of finish on the meat. Grill marks look great but a sear in a hot skillit over charcoals will come closer to what I'm looking for. Larry I'm not tryin to start no argument I'm only pointing this out for others to take into consideration. Every method of grilling will yeild different results.
Here is a PM I sent to Surfinsapo on this subject:

Glowing hot charcoal briquettes hit 800 to 1000 deg, The trick to a perfect steak is sear from the top, this is what a comercial salamander does. This stops the heat from rising from an under the meat heat source which give inconsistant results. The other + is even radiant heat up to 1200deg if needed.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-salam ... roiler.htm

Then in restaurants they finish the steak in the oven to the costomers liking. This does 3 things It puts wonderful crust on the outside, the crust is the same depth on both sides & the red or pink center is centered & consistant throughout the cut. When we grill steaks at home its tricky to be consistant every time. What I do is quick sear the meat as close to the coals or fire as possible on both sides, bring the remove from the grill & place on a warm plate with a pat of butter or Maitre D'hotel butter cover & let rest. This will make a rare steak For med put it in a 350deg oven for about 5 min.

007bond-jb said:
Larry Your London Broil looks marvalous & I would love to dive in for seconds. I like a darker crust than your pics show & I like a crisp bark too.
Using the reverse sear It would be hard to achive a darker crisp crust & not overshoot a 120deg rare internal. My favorite steak is to duplicate a Ruth Criss steakhouse type of finish on the meat. Grill marks look great but a sear in a hot skillit over charcoals will come closer to what I'm looking for. Larry I'm not tryin to start no argument I'm only pointing this out for others to take into consideration. Every method of grilling will yeild different results.
Here is a PM I sent to Surfinsapo on this subject:

Glowing hot charcoal briquettes hit 800 to 1000 deg, The trick to a perfect steak is sear from the top, this is what a comercial salamander does. This stops the heat from rising from an under the meat heat source which give inconsistant results. The other + is even radiant heat up to 1200deg if needed.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-salam ... roiler.htm

Then in restaurants they finish the steak in the oven to the costomers liking. This does 3 things It puts wonderful crust on the outside, the crust is the same depth on both sides & the red or pink center is centered & consistant throughout the cut. When we grill steaks at home its tricky to be consistant every time. What I do is quick sear the meat as close to the coals or fire as possible on both sides, bring the remove from the grill & place on a warm plate with a pat of butter or Maitre D'hotel butter cover & let rest. This will make a rare steak For med put it in a 350deg oven for about 5 min.

JB you are contradicting a cooking method you have admittingly in previous posts to have never tried before. Each time I have made a post in reference to the reverse sear method you debate it, but I haven't seen a JB video of you trying it to get a real opinion of it. Until I see proof you've at least given it a fair shot, your argument is a moot point with me.

As far as the crust on those particular steaks...........again, you're debating something without the facts. Just because they weren't blackened (see your catfish video) doesn't mean they were not properly charred. Everything doesn't have to be blackened.

Ruths Chris....................I went to one once and the only thing that impressed me was the view of Regan National Airport across the Potomac River I had out of the window we were sitting by. Other than that, the food was good, but certainly not worth the prices they charge. Even you could have cooked a better steak! :LOL:

You are correct Larry I have not tryed the reverse sear. I will admit the last london broil I made I didn't care for the results, (Too dry outer ring & not rare enough) I will try your method on the next one I do. I don't like my steaks chard black, just a darker brown color.
Now Blackend fish rocks...

JB

Larry Wolfe said:
Where does the serving line start?
eatdrink026.gif

--John 8)
(Darn, Larry, that looks fantastic. :shock: )

JB,

I might be wrong but I think that cook was the first time Larry had used the method. He was probably a little scared of ruining a chunk of beef in front of a lot of his friends (at a comp no less).

You can get as dark a char as you want. If you can get your fire hot enough that is. Actually, the hotter you can get your searing temp to, the better.

Here's the reason this will work no matter how you like your meat cooked. While you are raising the grilling/roasting temp to searing temp, your meat is on a plate (loosely tented in foil) "resting". You internal temp in your meat should actually drop a few degrees before you sear. "If" your sear temp is high enough, you can sear the meat on both side without raising internal temp more than a few degrees. (the lower your sear temp, the longer on the grill for char (raising internal temp).

Cooks Illustrated recently did basically confirmed this method using an oven and a frying pan. I'll hunt up the article and post it when I get home.

I've converted people way more skeptical than you.

You can use it or not. It doesn't really matter as long as you can make something you like.

Finney said:
Also, its not just for London Broil. You can use it for almost everything. Ribeyes, chops, burgers... everything but really thin cuts of meat.

Use it on your Christmas Prime Rib. ;)

I'll second the Prime Rib.......I'll also add to this, it also works great for top round roast used for pit beef.

As well as turkeys, pork loin, and roasting chickens. Obviously with the poultry, you would adjust the temperatures accordingly for doneness.

Finney said:
JB,

I might be wrong but I think that cook was the first time Larry had used the method. He was probably a little scared of ruining a chunk of beef in front of a lot of his friends (at a comp no less).

Actually it was the first time I had fired up the Primo as well.

Is all that juice from the meat in the aluminum pan? That looks awesome. Are you going to cook like this regularly? I want to know more please. Who showed you how to do this style.. It seems great.. I want to try it next time..
Thanks for the inspiration Larry... I don't care what everyone says, I think you're a cool bbq'r!!!! :D

I saw a nice size tri-tip at the grocery store today. It was in the reduced priced section. ( I don't think folks around here know what to do with them). It was reduced to 1.65 lb. I may go back and see if it is still there in the am so I can give this method a try. ;)

Cliff H. said:
I saw a nice size tri-tip at the grocery store today. It was in the reduced priced section. ( I don't think folks around here know what to do with them). It was reduced to 1.65 lb. I may go back and see if it is still there in the am so I can give this method a try. ;)
you have a meat grinder? make killer burgers... :D

Reverse Sear?????

Is that what you call cooking it that way?

Hmmmm, I guess I've been reverse searing all along and not even
known it! :LOL:

I rarely sear first, unless I'm in a big hurry. And when it comes
to $8.99 & $9.99 a lb. ribeyes... I'll wait the extra time for a
quality tasting steak!
eatdrink026.gif

When it comes to food...
NOTHING good is quick
&
NOTHING good is easy.

Ive been a fan of the reverse searing since cappy invented it and Finney took credit for it...Have done many a steak that way over the past few months and have yet to be disaponted..Heres one I did a bit ago that I served with grilled shrimp and Zuchinni w/mushrooms and onions..

Back
Top Bottom