Reverse Sear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had more than my share of that London broil that day. I can tell you it was absolutely delicious. Been using the "Reverse Sear-Triple Axel-Finney method" ever since.

Nick Prochilo said:
I'll try it! If you started the sear when the meat hit 90 instead of 100, would that help the sear to be "blackened"?

Nick if you want a darker more carmelized crust, just get your grill hotter.

Thanks for pointing out the correct issue Glen.
From the Cooks Illustrated article.

"The Problem with Thick-Cut Steaks"

The traditional pan-searing technique produces a brown crust, a pink center, and a gray band of overcooked meat in between. Could we eliminate the gray zone?

The Problem: Pan-searing a thick-cut steak (a steak almost as thick as it is wide) presents a unique challenge: How to keep the perimeter from overcooking while the very center of the steak reaches the desired temperature.

The Goal: We wanted our steak to have a good crust and medium-rare center, without a wide band of dry, gray meat between the two.

The Solution: We found it was essential to sear the steaks quickly to keep the meat directly under the crust from turning gray. The key was to start with dry meat. We moved the steaks straight from the fridge into a 275-degree oven, which not only warmed them to 95 degrees but also dried the meat thoroughly. At this temperature, when the steak met the hot skillet, it developed a beautiful brown crust in less than four minutes, while the rest of the meat stayed pink, juicy, and tender.

And this from the food science section of the magizine.

FOOD SCIENCE

Tender Steaks

Meat consists of groups of cells that are covered by long sleeves of collagen. As meat is heated above 140 degrees, the collagen shrinks, bursting the cells within. The liquid that was held within these cells now floats freely in the meat. This is what’s happening in the gray zone, and when eaten, the liquid inside will flow out copiously with the first couple of chews, leaving you with not much more than a wrung-out sponge in your mouth. On the other hand, if meat is kept between 120 and 140 degrees (as with our method), the cells remain intact and the juice stays put until pressure is placed upon them, resulting in a steak that slowly releases its juices with each chew. It turns out that less juice released more slowly provides a greater sensation of juiciness than more juice released all at once.

This explains the juiciness, but what about the tenderness? Meat contains active enzymes called cathepsins, which break down connective tissues over time, increasing tenderness (a fact that is demonstrated to great effect in dry-aged meat). As temperature rises, these enzymes work faster and faster, until they reach 122 degrees, where all action stops. While our steaks are slowly heating up, the cathepsins are working overtime (in effect “agingâ€

007bond-jb said:
Alrite Finny I'm gonna try this

Oh I see...........I post about the reverse sear, you tell me it's wrong and I need to do a Nuclear Sear etc., .........................Fu#$head posts an article and you're gonna try it?? :roll: Are you drinking POPS already?? :shock:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":vk6g5a2a]Alrite Finny I'm gonna try this

Oh I see...........I post about the reverse sear, you tell me it's wrong and I need to do a Nuclear Sear etc., .........................Fu#$head posts an article and you're gonna try it?? :roll: Are you drinking POPS already?? :shock:[/quote:vk6g5a2a]
JB knows who to listen to.... :LOL:

wittdog said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":1aa7o0rl]Alrite Finny I'm gonna try this

Oh I see...........I post about the reverse sear, you tell me it's wrong and I need to do a Nuclear Sear etc., .........................Fu#$head posts an article and you're gonna try it?? :roll: Are you drinking POPS already?? :shock:
JB knows who to listen to.... :LOL:[/quote:1aa7o0rl] [smilie=a_doh.gif]

I did said "Try it"... Boys I might be old, but I aint never to old to learn a new trick or two. Least I know how to splel corertcly :D BTW I'm on my 6th pop now

007bond-jb said:
I did said "Try it"... Boys I might be old, but I aint never to old to learn a new trick or two. Least I know how to splel corertcly :D BTW I'm on my 6th pop now
What took you so long to hit 6....must be sloooooooooooowing down in your old age...MAN :D

wittdog said:
007bond-jb said:
What took you so long to hit 6....must be sloooooooooooowing down in your old age...MAN :D
I like em colder than what the my local wine shop keeps em at. I had to give em time ta ripen WitMan/Boy ;)

Ice JB Ice...best way...Are you really union? The union boys up here keep a cooler full of beer in there cars...that way they know the beer is cold. ;)

wittdog said:
Ice JB Ice...best way...Are you really union? The union boys up here keep a cooler full of beer in there cars...that way they know the beer is cold. ;)

Ahhhhh...not just ICE my Northern neighbor beer swigging friend.... but ICE & SALT...

Ice down them beers and then pour a generous amount of table salt
all over the ice....
Believe it or not....salt makes the ice COLDER!
and QUICK TOO! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom