Resting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
Hi Friends, I'd like to get your opinions on a question? I have a rather large catering gig coming up 100 people. I am making a ton of food including chicken on my smokers. However, due to the size of my grill, I need to make 2 rounds of Tri Tip. My plan is to cook about 10 Tri Tips taking 45 min on the first round. I'll put that round in the Cambro. I'll put another 10 on and as the buffet line begins we will be putting the ones from the Cambro on the cutting board under the heat lamp for my server to carve and serve. By the time those first 10 are done I'll have the next batch coming off, straight from the grill.

Here is the question. What temp should I pull the Tri Tips (foil or not?) and put em in the Cambro. An average Tri Tip comes up 10-12 degrees while resting on the kitchen counter 15 minutes. If they are foiled (or not) in a Cambro for 45 min to an hour they may come up more??? My goal is mid rare 135 ish. At comps our briskets rest for up to 4 hours and only come up a tiny bit than plateau and slowly drop.

What do you folks think?

I don't think it will come up much more than 12 degrees. It's still off the heat and I believe it's just the internal temp equalizing that brings the temp up during the rest.

Nick Prochilo said:
I don't think it will come up much more than 12 degrees. It's still off the heat and I believe it's just the internal temp equalizing that brings the temp up during the rest.

Thanks Nick. I'm going to foil one and put it in a small preheated ice chest to test it out but my gut tells me your correct.

What temp will your preheated ice chest be? It will keep cook'n I think. The pull temp will be hard to guage. Maybe take hot bricks wrapped in foil and put on top(heat rises)? You may just have another oven your putting it into.

Tough deal. Probably have to just go with the flow of how the meat is going. Best thing you can do is pull too early, can always heat back up on a grill.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Plenty of pix or it didn't happen. ;)

Will do thanks for the advise. Sorry Lew and Helen. It's invite only at a she she mansion in the hills above Los Angeles. My catering is spreading via word of mouth only. I guess I may need to get a liscense and bonded soon.

I would just let them eat cake. Loose paraphrasing Great..great great granny Marie Antoinette on this one.

BigAL said:
What temp will your preheated ice chest be? It will keep cook'n I think. The pull temp will be hard to guage. Maybe take hot bricks wrapped in foil and put on top(heat rises)? You may just have another oven your putting it into.

Tough deal. Probably have to just go with the flow of how the meat is going. Best thing you can do is pull too early, can always heat back up on a grill.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Plenty of pix or it didn't happen. ;)

I've never pre heated my cooler. Just line the bottom with newspaper, shove the meat in and more newspaper on top.

Back
Top Bottom