Regional Hamburger Styles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meathead1

Assistant Cook
I'm researching an article on hamburgers, and a sidebar is about regional styles. I know many restaurants have their own specialty burgers, but I'm looking for styles that seem to be popular in a region. Here's what I've got so far. Anything missing?

Regional burger styles

Unlike hot dogs, which have numerous regional styles (see my article Hot Dog Road Trip http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hot_dogs_and_sausages/hot_dog_road_trip.html), there are only a handful of styles that are truly regional. Many variations are nationwide or limited to one restaurant. But there are a few:

The Green Chile Cheeseburger. This style is the bomb in the Southwest, especially New Mexico, is a bacon cheeseburger crowned with jalapenos smoke roasted until they are soft, bacon, and a spoon of sour cream. The Owl Bar & Cafe in San Antonio, NM, is on everyone's top 5 list.

The Pimento Cheese Burger is another regional specialty in the Southeast. It is especially popular in Columbia, SC. The Varsity, in Atlanta, GA, probably sells more of them than anyone. Pimento cheese spread replaces the melted cheese and the ketchup, mustard, or other sauces. You can add lettuce, tomato, and onion, but that's it. And yes, I know the correct spelling is pimiento, but not many places spell it that way.

The Connecticut Steamed Cheeseburg. There is a section of Connecticut that seems to have a Jones for Steamed Burgers, and there are a number of restaurants making them in the Burg'r Tend'r, a box designed just for the purpose. Just cram a big patty into a rectangular pan about 3" wide, top with a slice of cheese, and put in the steam oven. No need to flip it. Serious devotees of steamers are partial to the hefty, gooey Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers in Meriden.

The Cincinnati Chili Cheeseburger. This town has made its fast food reputation by hot dogs (called Coneys) and spaghetti, with a ground beef sauce called Cincinnati Chili, and then topping it with oyster crackers, a mound of shredded cheddar cheese, and onions. Although the Chili Cheeseburger is not widespread, it can be found at such landmarks as Gold Star Chili.

The San Antonio Beanburger a.k.a. The Tostada Burger. The San Antonio beanburger is believed to have originated at the late and lamented Sill's Snack Shack (The Triple S) in 1953. The patty is topped with refried beans, cheese (usually Cheez Wiz or cheddar), onions, and often crushed Fritos corn chips. Picante and guacamole occasionally barge in. Several restaurants in and around San Antonio serve a version of the dish. One popular version is at Cheesy Jane's.

Aussie Burgers. In Australia a typical burger will have pickled beets, sunnyside up egg, sliced pineapple, and chile paste such as sambal oelek or sriracha.

Regional food preferences is a hobby of mine.

You need to add the Carolina Burger.....topped with chili and slaw,
chopped onions and mustard....same as the Carolina Dog.

I think this is common enough here to qualify:

A Canadian burger often features cheddar (not processed), back bacon (Canadian bacon) and sauteed mushrooms. With or without l&t, onions, pickles, mayo, ketchup, mustard.

2008-10-31a008.jpg

Well I divide burgers into about 5 categories...that be starting with the regular old thin meat and toasted bun genre which cost .20 and a 10 year old fat boy could eat two but not much mo. Then we move on to the restaruant burgers which was big and greasy and cost a buck. Then we move on to Whataburger of which I ate in the first of the species which was founded down at Corpus Christi in about 54. Remember the night well cuz my daddy was drunk and used his fist to knock out the right passenger window of the 48 Buick which was the escape vehicle. Its a long story. Then we have the Steak House burger and home cooked suff we see nowadays. Now dont even get me started on them cooked in the cast iron skillet. Best I ever had was my special burger cooking grill which cooked 4 quarter pounders on 7 sheets of crumbled up newspaper. Dang them were good but I dont subscribe to them liberal commie propaganda mechanisms anymore..but I will go buy one to line the Parakeet cage floor. Cant trust em ya know? Fact is I love all burgers. Very nice expose. Sorry I was too busy to read it. Guess I could use the leftovers to cook burgers if I ever find another newspaper burger grill. Person can nearly do it on an ECB if they send off for the free how to booklet.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
Regional food preferences is a hobby of mine.

You need to add the Carolina Burger.....topped with chili and slaw,
chopped onions and mustard....same as the Carolina Dog.

Thanks. I'll add it!

bigwheel said:
Well I divide burgers into about 5 categories...that be starting with the regular old thin meat and toasted bun genre which cost .20 and a 10 year old fat boy could eat two but not much mo. Then we move on to the restaruant burgers which was big and greasy and cost a buck. Then we move on to Whataburger of which I ate in the first of the species which was founded down at Corpus Christi in about 54. Remember the night well cuz my daddy was drunk and used his fist to knock out the right passenger window of the 48 Buick which was the escape vehicle. Its a long story. Then we have the Steak House burger and home cooked suff we see nowadays. Now dont even get me started on them cooked in the cast iron skillet. Best I ever had was my special burger cooking grill which cooked 4 quarter pounders on 7 sheets of crumbled up newspaper. Dang them were good but I dont subscribe to them liberal commie propaganda mechanisms anymore..but I will go buy one to line the Parakeet cage floor. Cant trust em ya know? Fact is I love all burgers. Very nice expose. Sorry I was too busy to read it. Guess I could use the leftovers to cook burgers if I ever find another newspaper burger grill. Person can nearly do it on an ECB if they send off for the free how to booklet.

bigwheel

:D :D :D :D

8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom