Question re Frequency of Grill Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walt_153

Assistant Cook
Howdy, Foax!

Just a rookie question to keep things smooth between my better 3/4s & myself.

We have a Weber Performer (charcoal w. propane ignition) which we use for the occasional (read, rare) weekend grilling session. We used to have an LNG grill which we used almost three times a week in summer, but she says I spend entirely too much time scrubbing out our new charcoal grill after each use, and therefore I’m not inclined to use it as often as I used the old LNG one. She says I should just scrape off the grates themselves, and not worry about cleaning grease out of the bowl or top after every use. Thinks it enhances the “smoky flavor.”

She may be right. I usually remove and “Easy Off” the grates, rinse off the charcoal baskets, then apply a spray can of degreaser and expend a roll of paper towels wiping out the residue. Very like octogenarian sex, this all takes some appreciable time, and has pretty much removed the spontaneity from our grilling – if we decide to do it at all, it’s usually only for a planned, special event.

So, am I missing something? The Weber manual only mentions a thorough cleaning once a year, but my days of inspecting mess halls (“dining facilities” for you youngsters) have inclined me to a philosophy of spotless perfection.

Your guidance, please! Do I need a headspace & timing adjustment?

Thanx & best regards, Walt

Walt, I tend to agree with your wife if you keep your grill mostly dry between uses. I might sweep out a big bulk of ashes, but that is about it. I have always heard that ashes and water can be acidic, so I just don't want three inches of ashes soaking up any moisture.

Welcome Walt, I have had Weber kettles forever and just wire brush the grates after my cook and then again before the next cook. Use the sweeper to get the ashes out and remove them when the bucket is full and I do check the inside of the lid and brush it with a whisk broom to remove and scale that may fall on the food. I do use a drip pan when I cook, so normally do not get deposits in the bottom of the kettle. I grill year around and do try and take it down once a year in the summer and give it a good thorough cleaning. Just my opinion. Again welcome.

What Buzz said. Along with Dan. Also, any one that does not agree with your wife, is a idiot. :LOL: They are always right, Ya just cant win, no matter what on that deal. :LOL:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
What Buzz said. Along with Dan. Also, any one that does not agree with your wife, is a idiot. :LOL: They are always right, Ya just cant win, no matter what on that deal. :LOL:

You have the nerve calling someone an idiot?

Welcome Walt ! Wait, we're supposed to clean our grills :shock: I just open up the vents to kick up the heat to big flames, and let it burn off....... Be careful, your deck could catch on fire during this process :D ;)

Thank y'all for your practical and gracious responses! I'll take everybody's advice, & look forward to grilling much more often!

Best wishes & regards, Walt

Back
Top Bottom