Prime Tri Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin999

Executive Chef
I usually get choice tri tips but decided to try a prime one this time. They are $2 more than choice but at $6.99 I guess thats not too bad.

Sure looks like a great cut of meat.
img_226918_0_89870a4e038fdb7b8a1ff74b649300f6.jpg

Changed it up a little bit and seasoned with some Montreal Steak Seasoning
img_226918_1_6f999aeca9523d68763024b4978e679e.jpg

Cooked indirect till and internal temp of 115*. 275-300* dome temp with a chunk of red oak for smoke.
img_226918_2_77c477df0e257024f6e6884cb08f0f8a.jpg

Then seared it till an internal of about 125*
img_226918_3_4db2eb762b7737b0ea62c0e1f8e7ba94.jpg

img_226918_4_4345c3991dd527da848b407305931732.jpg

Some garlic bread using a sourdough baguette
img_226918_5_00ce76c85125ecab5965f06f7199ccf5.jpg

Some french cut green beans on the wok
img_226918_6_74e0de078a2182a8b7bbfb094925ec63.jpg

Tri tip sliced. No plated pics, won't eat this till tonight for dinner. Cooked it early since I am working graves tonight and need to try to sneak in a nap before hand. I did try it and it sure tasted great.
img_226918_7_81ecd08a79fe0ff09cf07de435978692.jpg

Vermin---thanks for posting about choice VS prime on the tri-tip. Everything looks awesome except for one little tiny thing. Evidently Vermin saw it too because he fixed it----let's have a contest--who else sees it? This is the thing that seperates good tri-tip into awesome tri-tip. This one little thing helps all tri-tip--select choice or prime.

Thanks for the awesome pictures and products Vermin. I may try Prime if I cook tri-tip at home for company--the marbling on your's looked over the top. I probably will keep cooking select grade for big jobs---runnin about $2.50 per pound this week. The cost difference for big jobs may put it out of the market for big jobs. We are having problems already with other caterers claiming that they are cooking tri-tip and using select Ball Tips for a lesser price. Folks asking for bids have no idea about quoting apples VS oranges let alone select VS prime. This post is a great study.

Chuckwagonbbqco said:
Vermin---thanks for posting about choice VS prime on the tri-tip. Everything looks awesome except for one little tiny thing. Evidently Vermin saw it too because he fixed it----let's have a contest--who else sees it? This is the thing that seperates good tri-tip into awesome tri-tip. This one little thing helps all tri-tip--select choice or prime.

Thanks for the awesome pictures and products Vermin. I may try Prime if I cook tri-tip at home for company--the marbling on your's looked over the top. I probably will keep cooking select grade for big jobs---runnin about $2.50 per pound this week. The cost difference for big jobs may put it out of the market for big jobs. We are having problems already with other caterers claiming that they are cooking tri-tip and using select Ball Tips for a lesser price. Folks asking for bids have no idea about quoting apples VS oranges let alone select VS prime. This post is a great study.

My guess is that the piece at the top of the sliced pic is cut with the grain and the rest are against the grain. I've not cooked a tri tip, but I would guess it to be similar to how cutting against the grain on a brisket helps the tenderness.

Looking at those pics again V9 are making my mouth water! Awesome job!

Shores hit the nail on the head!

One piece of tri-tip in the right hand corner of the picture has been cut with (parallel) the grain instead of against the grain (perpendicular) It looks like the slicer cut one slice--looked at it and said "Oh chit" and sliced the rest of it against the grain.

The long striations in the one sliced piece show that it was sliced with the grain and that the one slice will have stringy, tough spots to chew through.

I think that this is the most valuable training picture that I have ever seen for slicing tri-tip. We see pictures of tri tip sliced totally against the grain or totally with the grain-----this is the first picture that I have seen with the same tri-tip cut both ways. It would be awesome to be able to chew both pieces---from the same PRIME tri-tip---to actually feel the tenderness difference.

Good Goin' V9

Actually I had cut two slices before I had realized my mistake. I did try both and was surprised that the one cut with the grain wasn't as hard to chew as I had expected.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom