Porterhouse Staek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
Publix had Choice Porterhouse Steaks on sale, who am I to say no?

img_178494_0_d2b32bc48bccab21ab23ec174985b099.jpg

Coming up to room temperature rubbed with olive oil and seasonings.

img_178494_1_e4094e404baf9c799794d2cb2cbc0ec9.jpg

Resting for a few minutes while I prepare a salad.

img_178494_2_1340668401d667a605578ce7ec483b40.jpg

Time to eat.

img_178494_3_acfc1b191ecf2669d6581094ae0ee371.jpg

Did you know...there aint many good size Porterhouses which come off a typical carcass. I want to say 4 nice ones but if that aint right it aint far off depend on how thick you cut em I guess. At any rate half of them guaranteed to be tough on the side opposite the loin. I mean the half which would be Noo Yawk Strip or whutever course that tend to be way chewier than the loin anyway but...that Portion of the Porterhouse have a hidden blood vein which runs down the middle. Cant see it or know its there till you bite into it. Hit one like that in Prime Grade at one of the fanciest Steakhouses in the country of Purto Rikka. I just went ahead and ate it since the warden's boss man was paying for it. I did not want to appear ungrateful or quarrellsome etc. Anyway I come back and re-seached it. Thats why when you buying steaks on sale it always mo betta to reach for the T-bones. They dont suffer from the abovementioned ailment.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Did you know...there aint many good size Porterhouses which come off a typical carcass. I want to say 4 nice ones but if that aint right it aint far off depend on how thick you cut em I guess. At any rate half of them guaranteed to be tough on the side opposite the loin. I mean the half which would be Noo Yawk Strip or whutever course that tend to be way chewier than the loin anyway but...that Portion of the Porterhouse have a hidden blood vein which runs down the middle. Cant see it or know its there till you bite into it. Hit one like that in Prime Grade at one of the fanciest Steakhouses in the country of Purto Rikka. I just went ahead and ate it since the warden's boss man was paying for it. I did not want to appear ungrateful or quarrellsome etc. Anyway I come back and re-seached it. Thats why when you buying steaks on sale it always mo betta to reach for the T-bones. They dont suffer from the abovementioned ailment.

bigwheel
Your right bigwheel but when getting a true porterhouse you get the bad (strip part more grizzle ) w/ the good(bigger filet). I guess it equals out in the end :D

Mike

Porterhouse

When I read Bigwheel's comment, I thought he must have been at my house Saturday night! I had two big, pretty looking porterhouse - same deal $6.99/lb from Publix, Certified Angus Beef. I had the butcher cut them about 1.5", had about 1.5 - 2" on the filet side.

The "strip" side was OK, good flavor and all, but was tougher than it should have been. I thought maybe I had overcooked that side, but the color was right on. The filet sides were wonderful.

I read somewhere earlier in the week about a "vein steak" - a porterhouse with a hidden vein that wasn't visible until cut - and I noticed that in my steaks.

Now I know - but I do still love those big, oversized, extra-thick porterhouse steaks.

Beautiful looking cook.

Pat

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Good to know, thank you BW. I always thought they were the same and wondered why the two names. T-Bones were on sale as well.

They are the same, the porterhouse steak is usually the first 2-4 cuts (depending on size of the loin) of a shortloin.

Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom