Pizza again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Well the travertine pizza stone got me going. I found a couple of pieces in the yard at work the other day and said "why not"? Cleaned it up good with water, let her dry and tonight I made pizzas in the rain. Damn that stone works great!

The stone

The pizza's

One was topped with sausage, one with mushrooms, one with onions and one was plain. Man the freaking crust came out real crisp and thin!

Looks awesome Nick! I'll take the one with the shrooms !

I did a thin crust pie myself tonight.....No wait.... (no pics, so I lie).
I like a thin crust every now and then.

007bond-jb said:
Great lookin pies, how many folks you feedin :shock:

3 with leftovers for lunch today.

Rag said:
Nice pies. Do you make rounds ones too? :LOL:

Damn I tried, it ain't easy! I haven't tried tossing them in the air yet, just with the roller pin. I only cook them 1 at a time and dodging the rain yesterday wasn't easy, so I wasn't about to fight the shape! :LOL:

Very nice, Nick!

Do you have a rear rotis burner? I have that going to help melt the toppings on top since the dough gets done pretty quick. Just have to turn every minute or two but that helps everything get cooked even.

And homemade pizza don't need to be round... they look just great the way they are!! Give's 'em character!

Captain Morgan said:
pizza is my next task....what is that travertine stone thingy and why is it important?

I holds the heat and absorbs the moisture from the dough helping it to be nice and crisp. You can pick up a piece or 2 at Home Depot or a tile store. You want one that isn't filled or sealed.

Tony, I do have a rotis on the grill but it didn't need it. The pies were on 6 1/2 minutes each. Cheese melted fine.

I thought Italians were born with the talent to toss dough in the air. :LOL:
Just busting your stones...what you have is great.

Those look awesome. What temp were you cooking at? Cranked up all the way I guess.

Off the topic, but why do they cut pizzas into square pieces. I hate that.

Smokin' U said:
Those look awesome. What temp were you cooking at? Cranked up all the way I guess.

Off the topic, but why do they cut pizzas into square pieces. I hate that.

I had the grill temp at 600 - 650 degrees. I've had that grill to over 700. Thats according to the therm in the lid.

Mine were an odd shape because I haven't mastered throwing them in the air or streching them out round, sorry. I just cut them into even pieces so we had different choices to eat.

Back
Top Bottom