Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowRent

Senior Cook
I did this last nite on the 22.5 kettle. Used a mounded over Weber chimney of lump. Once rocket hot, distributed around the circumference of the kettle charcoal grate. Placed pizza stone in center of grilling grate. Cloverd with lid for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, baked pies--1 at a time, of course.

As always made dough & sauce from scratch. Can give recipe if wanted.

Made two pies. Here's one (sorry about the image softness--these were shot hand held in available nite time kitchen light):

All images shot ISO 1600 with wide open aperture (which varied with focal length)

Thanks. This was my first run at it too. It'll only get better. This is a vastly superior way to doing pizza unless you have one of them pricey Viking ovens that can go to 800*.

low rent wrote:
Thanks. This was my first run at it too. It'll only get better. This is a vastly superior way to doing pizza unless you have one of them pricey Viking ovens that can go to 800*

Foget the expensive Viking.

http://www.primogrill.com/ Click Recipe, Click Pizza. If's a Flashpage, so no direct link.

Cliff H. said:
Very Nice. All recipes are welcome. :D

I'm watching my 1 & 2 year old today. It's a miracle I've been able to post what I have. So, the recipes will be posted tonite or tomorrow.

How hot did the grill get? The pie looks great, how did the crust turn out? I have done mini deep dish pizzas using pie plates in the oven and those have been good, even with crappy store bought dough. I only have a gas grill and am curious how well a charcoal grill perfoms.

Ingredients:

230 g water
1 t salt
1 t sugar
360 g high gluten flour (I used King Arthur Sir Lancelot--good luck finding it)
1 t IDY = Instant Dry Yeast (I used SAF brand)

Combine first three ingredients in mixer bowl. Mix 'til salt & sugar disolved before adding approximately 1/3 of the flour. When flour has been incorporated add the IDY. Immediately add another 1/3 of the flour. Mix 'til incorporated. Add final amount of flour. Once dough comes together kneed for 7 minutes. Cover dough ball and let rise in mixing bowl for about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide in half. Lightly oil (I use spray) two bowls. Place dough balls in bowls & cover airtight. Place in fridge for 24 hours. Take dough out an hour before you plan to work with it.

dledmo said:
How hot did the grill get? The pie looks great, how did the crust turn out? I have done mini deep dish pizzas using pie plates in the oven and those have been good, even with crappy store bought dough. I only have a gas grill and am curious how well a charcoal grill perfoms.

I have no idea how hot the grill was, other than very very HOT. The crust was great. Crispy on the bottom. I preheated the stone for only 10 minutes. Any longer and the crust would start to burn--the exact opposite of my 550 oven. I can never burn a crust in the oven.

I used a 22.5" Weber kettle OneTouch Gold. Great grill IMO. The charcoal was arranged around the outer edge/perimeter. There were no coals directly under the stone/pizza, and this is a critical element for baking pizzas on the grill. An 18" would require a much smaller stone & pizza.

I suppose you could do deep dish, but you'd use way, way less charcoal but the same technique. Heavy aluminum or cast iron pans are best of deep dish. I trust you've been to www.pizzamaking.com for details on preferred equipment.

Thanks for the link, I put it in my favorites. What pizza stone are you using? I see the pizza peel, very nice. I saw the recipe for the dough, how did you prepare it, i mean roll out or toss, and to what thickness?

Holy [smilie=dancing_cow.gif] that looks great. NOW I have to get my kettle out of the shed and crank it up.

That was a good link ;)
I have always loved UNO's pizza and tried the recipie they had. Me my wife and the kiddies enjoyed this pie. First time making one from scrach too. :D Won't be the last one though.

Back
Top Bottom