Not much, but I did it, it tasted great, & I'm very happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redflea

Cook
You guys know what I mean, the simple things can make you really happy... :)

Carolina rub, some favorite sauce, and Voilà, family starts saying things like "tasty" and "nice light burn on my lips" and "It's BBQ chicken, would you please stop strutting around and whooping like you invented the light bulb?"

img_232032_0_d0b3778a9abbd1a41ac3052cabec2695.jpg

Thanks for supporting my whooping, guys. :)

Captain Morgan said:
grilled chicken with Rev. Marvin sauce is my favorite meal.
What is Carolina rub, and what sauce did you use?

Carolina Rub was from a post (here or ?) titled "25 Rubs." (At first I was disappointed 'cause I thought it was going to be a dirty massage post w/pictures). ;-) I modified the rub a bit, reduced the salt and added a touch more brown sugar, and reduced the cayenne a little as my wife doesn't like it quite as hot as my son and I do. Modified version below...

A Carolina BBQ Rub
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
~3 tablespoons paprika (I used about half smoked and half regular paprika)

Sauce is Simmie J's Gourmet Barbecue Sauce - Spicy.

http://www.simmiejs.com/aboutus.ivnu

We tend to prefer our food spicy, and this rub and sauce together provided a nice slow burn on the lips that reminded me of the best BBQ I've ever eaten (mind you I haven't traveled to our nations BBQ capitals, my BBQ experiences are primarily west-coast SoCal), which was a hole in the wall that I used to eat in in La Jolla, CA in the late 70's/early 80's, called "Clays Texas Pit Barbecue." If I could find a bottle of their sauce I'd be in heaven.

Larry Wolfe said:
I'll save one thigh for you, but after that, you're on your own! Those look great!!

Them's fightin' words...but thanks for saying 'em. :)

Fine job Redflea. Here I been taught all these years Sunny CA folks lived on Tofu and Sushi and stuff like that. Ahh well guess the old adage is proven true yet again. Its whut a person learns after they know it all that counts.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Fine job Redflea. Here I been taught all these years Sunny CA folks lived on Tofu and Sushi and stuff like that. Ahh well guess the old adage is proven true yet again. Its whut a person learns after they know it all that counts.

bigwheel

Or as my dad used to say, the more we know the less we know. :)

I did a bit of a spit-take laughing about the tofu mention above...my wife is Asian, and we're both very fond of tofu, and we do eat a fair amount of it in various stif-fry dishes and some really spicy seafood soups we like. :) Probably sounds funny, but I love the texture of soft or silken tofu, and the stuff absorbs the flavors of everything around it so if you have it in the right soup/sauce things can be great.

Other reason I laughed was that I was watching some videos on the weber nation site earlier today and there was a video on grilling firm tofu (albeit on tinfoil on top of the grate). :D I'm not sure even I'm up for that...just seemed kinda against nature...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom