Not A Tri Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
I committed the "Cardinal Sin" and only have one good picture, but this cook had a very positive outcome and I wanted to share. I went on a quest in our town of 50,000 to find a Tri Tip ... No luck, Al's Meat Market said no, but suggested Ross's Market in Granville a neighboring town. The clerk at the meat counter had no idea what I was talking about, but asked another clerk and I though I had struck gold .... Nooooooo! I ended up with a "Beef Loin Bottom Sirloin." It looked good but was not the Tri Tip I was looking for. Cut to the chase, I did it up as my pal Mike "Tri Tip" had instructed me to do a real Tri Tip. I ended up over shooting the 130° temperature by 10° but it was still killer. While experimenting I soaked corn in cold water for 30 minutes and then grilled it 30 minutes in the husk. This is the way to do corn, the hot husk and silk stripped away far easier than doing this before cooking. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I promise to do better in the future.

Some people have luck finding tri tips at Costco or Trader Joes if you have one in the area. I cook my corn the same way but make a sugar/salt brine for the corn to soak in.

Hey guys thanks for the info. I did just ask at Kroger's and they said they would try and order a Tri Tip for me. V, I'll try that with the corn seems easy enough while you are soaking it. Lew, I did just email with Mike as I was getting worried, he has just been busy, catering, comps and a new baby on the way. I do not know how young people do all they do :D

Yea ... My local Kroger store got me a real Tri Tip, I appreciate the thought Toby, but you are off the hook :D I'm doing it Sunday night and good or bad will post pictures of the cook and plated.

bbquzz said:
Yea ... My local Kroger store got me a real Tri Tip, I appreciate the thought Toby, but you are off the hook :D I'm doing it Sunday night and good or bad will post pictures of the cook and plated.
I got mine from albertsons. He ordered them for me.Dont know where from,but i picked up six in the bag this morning . If you have one nearby its worth a shot.

We got Tri Tip on every corner and in every supermarket out here. I'll trade it for realistically priced real-estate. :LOL: Good looken cook!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom