Newbie questions re: propane BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimbbq

Assistant Cook
[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Greetings all,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My wife and I just moved in to our first home and we also bought a propane BBQ for first time! We have used it a few times and have some questions as below. It seems to be a pretty highly rated BBQ with seemingly good build quality and materials and 100 BTUs per square inch of primary cooking area (40,000 BTU double H burner with 400 sq inch primary cooking area (specs: http://www.broilmatebbq.com/grills/115554.html)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Q1. I have no context on whether the temps I am achieving are good or not (i.e., is the BBQ functioning properly). Here’s what my watch shows (weather 10 degree Celsius (Canada) moderate wind): [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10 minutes to hit 350 F (thermometer on bbq); [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15 minutes to hit 450 F; [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20 minutes to hit 525 F;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then it seems to max out at around 25 mins at roughly 550F and go not much higher. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We don’t do much steaks etc, mostly chicken and seafood, so not too worried about the 550F top-out but does the temp/time pattern seem reasonable? For the preceding stats I had both (all) burners on high for the duration of the times noted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Q2. If I did want to increase the temp/speed and reduce propane usage, any thoughts on MacGyver-esque techniques I could use? I was thinking maybe adding ceramic briquettes on top of the metal “flavor wave” burner shield. Or maybe putting some ceramic briquettes in a metal container on one side of the cooking area (typically we only use one half the cooking area to cook given it’s just two of us). So far the bbq seems like a bit of a propane pig, so looking for ideas to help the temp/speed and gas usage.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your input and indulging my newbie questions! [/FONT]

Q1 that's not super fast but it's not stupid slow. I wouldn't worry about it.

Q2 I wouldn't add ceramic briquettes above the burners. It may hold to much heat down below and you would then risk burning out the burners.

What Nick said. Wind is a terrible enemy of propane grills, possibly try to build a wind break.

[FONT=&quot]Q2. If I did want to increase the temp/speed and reduce propane usage, any thoughts on MacGyver-esque techniques I could use? [/FONT]
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Ummm?? You want to INcrease temp/speed and DEcrease consumption of fuel??? To raise the temperature, you are going to need more fuel.
Were you sleeping during basic physics class or even Earth Science Class? These properties you are asking about are inversely related. Think about it.

(and why is this in the BBQ part of the forum, and NOT in the grilling part??? Don't we care about the difference any more? http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/f9/barbecue-is-barbecue-grilling-is-grilling-18295.html ) :(:(:(:(:(:(:confused::confused::confused::confused::?:?:?:?:?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom