New guy needing some grill information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

007bond-jb

Master Chef
You from La? Me too, The porcelain top grates can chip easy. I would go stainless

Price of course. But if you want easy clean and no rust get 304 grade at least.. Welcome to the Forum!!! :D

I have a Weber Silver B 3 burner gasser that came with porcelain coated cast iron grates...I bought the stainless steel grates that weber makes and put them in in place of the PCI. I can use a broiler brush to clean them and not worry about having to use a brass brush all the time...they melt quicker!

You can get great grill marks with the cast iron. But I still do pretty well with the stainless. I vote for easy clean up when your talking gasser.

davis_lsu said:
BTW I'm from Louisiana, live in Baton Rouge, and I graduated from LSU. Go Tigers!

Sounds like your around the corner from JB. Welcome.

Im sure if you buy the pops JB would learn you some things. :LOL:

Welcome to the board.

I agree, it depends on the grade/thickness of the SS. With that said, for a medium price ($300 to $700) gasser, I would probably go with the porcelain. The higher grade SS comes with higher price tags. However, if money is not an issue, SS is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

I replaced the porcelain grates and flavor bars in my $30 craigslist gasser for about $90. That was for a Weber -- I don't know about others, but they're probably not a high-cost replacement item, if you want to figure that into your decision.

--John

Hey davis_lsu, If I would have known you were in BR, I would have visited you when I was there about 2 months ago with 007BONDJB..He too me by LSU. It's an awesome campus ... Do you cook cajun style? Where did you grow up?

davis_lsu said:
Now y'all got me thinking about what I need to replace on my grill at home. I really do use it a good bit and I enjoy cooking on it. Time for more research...

LOL! You'll definately have the bug if you hang out here.

davis_lsu said:
Now I need to read up on the jerk chicken recipe. We got back from our honeymoon in Jamaica just 2 months ago and that sounds so good....

Davis, this is the best brand for the Jamaican Jerk chicken .."Walkerswood Traditional Jamaican Jerk "..

9013.jpg

http://hotnbottled.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77&products_id=1037

The Weber Summit grills are the same price in stainless or porc. Like I can spell it.

It costs them as much to have it applied to the steel as it does for stainless steel.

Stainless will never rust if it's 304 stainless which the Weber is.

Porc. can rust if it chips but it's much easier to clean.

They both cook the same way. It's the look.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom