Need Tri Tip help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
got my first one from Costco, pre-marinaded....tried to call Bill
but the connection was bad.

So I'm thinking of taking the charcoal ring and a grate from my
wsm and putting that on top of the grate on my kettle.
Is that right? Cook direct but higher over the coals?
What internal temp?

Grill hot, searing well. I take them to 127 internal and let rest for a while before cutting.

Depending on thickness you may want to sear and them move and finish indirect.

Jim

Your plan sounds good, but I would give some consideration to getting a good sear on the kettle grate, then add the wsm ring and grate to get up to your desired temp. We could call this the Cap'n method. Something you did actually invent. Like Jim said, get a good sear and then bring it to your desired temp.

Indirect at 250*-275* until you get 100* internal temp. Remove from the grill and crank the heat as hot as you can get it then finish grilling direct until you're 5* away from your target temp and let rest 15 minutes, then slice.

Cappy this is the way I did the London Broils at SOTB, if you liked them then that's the way I did them. This method will give you a nice consistent doneness throughout the cut while remaining very juicy.

Griff said:
Your plan sounds good, but I would give some consideration to getting a good sear on the kettle grate, then add the wsm ring and grate to get up to your desired temp. We could call this the Cap'n method. Something you did actually invent. Like Jim said, get a good sear and then bring it to your desired temp.
Lemme make sure I've got this: You put the WSM ring on top of the kettle grate, put the WSM grate on top of the ring, and the meat on top of the second-story grate? raising it ~ 4" farther away from the coals?

--John 8)
(Okay, who really invented it? :? )

I did one on the WSM on the top grate without the waterpan in the way.. vents pretty much open all the way... a full chimney of charcoal and some oak in the bottom of the WSM... rubbed it with dizzy pig "raising the steaks......"grilled" it til it hit 125-127 and pulled it off and let it rest.... it had a lil smokey flavor.. .. was the best one I have done

without the pan and vents wide open... the wsm gets good and hot, but the beauty is that the drippings that catch fire ... the fire doesnt get up to burn the meat....

I'd say forget the "rig" you are thinking of and just set your waterpan to the side and do it on the WSM

Captain Morgan said:
events have led me to postpone the cook till tomorrow, so keep the thoughts coming!

This translates in you got to the bottom of the case before you were ready to cook huh? :shock:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3hm7vuol]events have led me to postpone the cook till tomorrow, so keep the thoughts coming!

This translates in you got to the bottom of the case before you were ready to cook huh? :shock:[/quote:3hm7vuol]
4.gif

Captain Morgan said:
that, and it started raining.
Rain......Cappy........... :roll: Thank God this is a family fourm...i
n a few months when It's cool enough for you to grill and Q.....All that insulation I have will be coming in handy :LOL:

I was going to cook something today but I think it's going to be to hot.
(Chance of showers too :shock: )

well, Larry nailed it, but I was also freaked out by my 2 hour
trip returning my daughter to her home. It's the Fall Harley
week, and the traffic was as bad this year as Memorial Day
weekend....plus it started raining, which made the commute
even worse. By the time I got home I was too irritated to
enjoy the cook. So I enjoyed the beer, and will cook the
tri tip today. I'll take pics.

Everyone was raving about Bill's, and I tried to call him yesterday,
but he was in a spot with lousy reception. Think I'll try the wsm without
the pan. It's supposed to be close to 90 today, btw.

Larry Wolfe said:
Indirect at 250*-275* until you get 100* internal temp. Remove from the grill and crank the heat as hot as you can get it then finish grilling direct until you're 5* away from your target temp and let rest 15 minutes, then slice.

Cappy this is the way I did the London Broils at SOTB, if you liked them then that's the way I did them. This method will give you a nice consistent doneness throughout the cut while remaining very juicy.

Larry,

What do you use for seasoning. WRB? or just salt and pepper to taste?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom