Need advice on new grill purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmack

Assistant Cook
Hello i am new to this forum and wanted some opinions on a new grill. I have been using a char broil commercial gas grill and a brinkman smoke n grill. The gas grill finally got worn out last year so i got rid of it. The two grills i am looking at are a weber performer or a chargriller akorn kamado style grill. I like to do all different types of grilling plus i would like to be able to do some smoking. I have a propane smoker but i prefer the flavor of food smoked with charcoal/wood. Im leaning toward the Akorn mainly because of being able to use it for a smoker and a grill but im not sure if it will be good as a primary grill for everything. I plan on using whichever i buy for all my grilling needs. I have used alot of different grills but never a kamado style. There seems to be alot of experienced grillers on here so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chargriller kamodo
Ive had my inexpensive Kamodo ($300) for nine months & have cooked a lot of meals on it.
The cooker is an insulated steel kamodo.
It has an interior fire sleeve that protects the wall of the cooker from direct heat & the sleeve & the interior wall of the cooker are porceloin coated.
It's built onto a cart with wheels & 2 side shelves.
It has a 20 inch cast iron main grate & a 14 in upper grate.
It will cook a lot, 40 lbs of butt, or 5 whole chickens , a whole brisket & a butt, or 8 racks BB ribs.
It's a good smoker , will run 15 hours without refueling..
It " likes " to run about 250 - 290 F , their is a fine line trying to run 225F between keeping the temp there & the fire going out. The insulated cookers require so little fire torun 200-225Fthat the fire may not be self sustaining.
It's a good grill gets plenty hot to sear & cook quickly.
You can smoke then sear on it ( my favorite way of cooking steaks, burgers & chops) but takes a little gymnastics , not as easy as my Horizonal cooker.
I took the insides out to clean & inspect the firebox sleeve & interior & no signs rust, chipping of porceloin etc. only problems I've had we're a couple bolts loosing & replaced with locking nuts & burned up a gasket with a grease fire, took 2 minutes to replace & they sent me one free.
I like this cooker & I'll probably use a lot in cold weather.
I could easily use as my only cooker if space or other considerations kept me from having specialized cookers.

Thanks for the comments guys. I ended up purchasing the chargriller Kamado, I haven't had a chance to use it yet but am looking forward to it.

Thanks for the comments guys. I ended up purchasing the chargriller Kamado, I haven't had a chance to use it yet but am looking forward to it.

J, you might want to check out this forum. Broil King Keg Forum - Index
I don't know if the Chargriller has it's own forum but a few guys at the Big Steel Keg forum have either the same grill or that Akorn grill as second grills I believe. The BSK forum can help you with getting started and learning some creative grilling.
Good luck with your new grill!

Back
Top Bottom