More Results on Wolfe Rub Bold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Well I tried out the Wolfe Rub Bold on a USDA Choice Angus Sirloin Steak, done on the Weber Gasser. The steak originally weighed 1.36lbs and was nicely marbled with not too much fat around the exterior, good looking steak.

I put a heavy coating of WRB on the steak about an hour before grilling then at grilling time added another light coat to the meat. The gasser was heated up to btw 550-600 and on it went. Here are the pics with some comments:

Rubbed and ready for the grill.
wr1co7.jpg

Nice grill marks.
wr2ff2.jpg

Ready for the table.
wr3yw4.jpg

Just perfect, nice and tender.
wr4lc6.jpg

Even the dog loves Wolfe Rub Bold.
wr5ik9.jpg

Overall impressions, I found that if you immediately taste the meat after pulling it from the grill you will notice a pronounced spice to the bark. If you let the meat rest, as I did for about 15 minutes, that spiceyness seems to dissipate. There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

I liked the rub very much, on a scale of 1-10, for steak I would give it a high 7 or low 8. As a BBQ rub though, I think it has a bright future. I can see me using this more on BBQ than I do on say a thick rib eye or a piece of prime rib. It's not the taste I'm looking for when I eat a steak.

It will be a great BBQ Rub however. GREAT JOB LARRY!!!!

Bruce B said:
There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

Bruce, thanks for taking the time for the great detailed review! I agree, it is better as a BBQ rub, but not bad on grilled food. You're close on the cumin guess, but there's no cumin in it. Thanks again.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bruce B":2g07v7ze]There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

Bruce, thanks for taking the time for the great detailed review! I agree, it is better as a BBQ rub, but not bad on grilled food. You're close on the cumin guess, but there's no cumin in it. Thanks again.[/quote:2g07v7ze]

4.gif

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":tnteoepo][quote="Bruce B":tnteoepo]There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

Bruce, thanks for taking the time for the great detailed review! I agree, it is better as a BBQ rub, but not bad on grilled food. You're close on the cumin guess, but there's no cumin in it. Thanks again.[/quote:tnteoepo]

4.gif
[/quote:tnteoepo]

1.gif

Bruce B said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3vwdxi7e][quote="Larry Wolfe":3vwdxi7e][quote="Bruce B":3vwdxi7e]There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

Bruce, thanks for taking the time for the great detailed review! I agree, it is better as a BBQ rub, but not bad on grilled food. You're close on the cumin guess, but there's no cumin in it. Thanks again.[/quote:3vwdxi7e]

4.gif
[/quote:3vwdxi7e]

1.gif
[/quote:3vwdxi7e]

My thought too Bruce! Nick is a very confused man!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bruce B":3jh1gtdl][quote="Nick Prochilo":3jh1gtdl][quote="Larry Wolfe":3jh1gtdl][quote="Bruce B":3jh1gtdl]There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

Bruce, thanks for taking the time for the great detailed review! I agree, it is better as a BBQ rub, but not bad on grilled food. You're close on the cumin guess, but there's no cumin in it. Thanks again.[/quote:3jh1gtdl]

4.gif
[/quote:3jh1gtdl]

1.gif
[/quote:3jh1gtdl]

My thought too Bruce! Nick is a very confused man![/quote:3jh1gtdl]

Not confused at all, If it's not cumin it's something else. How can you be close it either is cumin or isn't cumin.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":95r4dmi3][quote="Bruce B":95r4dmi3][quote="Nick Prochilo":95r4dmi3][quote="Larry Wolfe":95r4dmi3][quote="Bruce B":95r4dmi3]There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

Bruce, thanks for taking the time for the great detailed review! I agree, it is better as a BBQ rub, but not bad on grilled food. You're close on the cumin guess, but there's no cumin in it. Thanks again.[/quote:95r4dmi3]

4.gif
[/quote:95r4dmi3]

1.gif
[/quote:95r4dmi3]

My thought too Bruce! Nick is a very confused man![/quote:95r4dmi3]

Not confused at all, If it's not cumin it's something else. How can you be close it either is cumin or isn't cumin.[/quote:95r4dmi3]

[smilie=a_doh.gif]

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1xcumuch][quote="Larry Wolfe":1xcumuch][quote="Bruce B":1xcumuch][quote="Nick Prochilo":1xcumuch][quote="Larry Wolfe":1xcumuch][quote="Bruce B":1xcumuch]There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

Bruce, thanks for taking the time for the great detailed review! I agree, it is better as a BBQ rub, but not bad on grilled food. You're close on the cumin guess, but there's no cumin in it. Thanks again.[/quote:1xcumuch]

4.gif
[/quote:1xcumuch]

1.gif
[/quote:1xcumuch]

My thought too Bruce! Nick is a very confused man![/quote:1xcumuch]

Not confused at all, If it's not cumin it's something else. How can you be close it either is cumin or isn't cumin.[/quote:1xcumuch]

[smilie=a_doh.gif][/quote:1xcumuch]

See, now it's funny! Sorry guys, didn't mean to laugh at you, just wanted to laugh with you!

Well ya know that CAB stuff was started as a merchandisng tool to put mo money into the pocket of the cow raiser folks now dontcha? Swear...they doing a good job. I quick grilled some CAB chuck steaks hear while back and they was tender enough to eat like steak..which surprised the heck outta me since I aint bumped into a tender quick cook chuck steak since the 50's or 60's etc. Suspect the sirloin work the same way. Them are very flavorful cuts of meat if you can avoid getting one so tough you cant stick a fork in the gravy (paraphrasing either Justeen or Granny Clampitt.)
Tender sirloins do not come in the Select grade..and learnt the hard way neither do Ribeyes. Great looking steak. Seems like ya done good:) Now Tom Thumb claim they got some kind of proprietery tender Select grade stuff called Ranchers Reserve. They claim to hang it and stretch or some other such thang. They gonna have to show me since I got kin which lives up near Missourri.

bigwheel

Bruce B said:
Well I tried out the Wolfe Rub Bold on a USDA Choice Angus Sirloin Steak, done on the Weber Gasser. The steak originally weighed 1.36lbs and was nicely marbled with not too much fat around the exterior, good looking steak.

I put a heavy coating of WRB on the steak about an hour before grilling then at grilling time added another light coat to the meat. The gasser was heated up to btw 550-600 and on it went. Here are the pics with some comments:

Rubbed and ready for the grill.
wr1co7.jpg

Nice grill marks.
wr2ff2.jpg

Ready for the table.
wr3yw4.jpg

Just perfect, nice and tender.
wr4lc6.jpg

Even the dog loves Wolfe Rub Bold.
wr5ik9.jpg

Overall impressions, I found that if you immediately taste the meat after pulling it from the grill you will notice a pronounced spice to the bark. If you let the meat rest, as I did for about 15 minutes, that spiceyness seems to dissipate. There is a definite detectable sweetness to the bark, and the flavor of what I believe to be cumin is noticeable.

I liked the rub very much, on a scale of 1-10, for steak I would give it a high 7 or low 8. As a BBQ rub though, I think it has a bright future. I can see me using this more on BBQ than I do on say a thick rib eye or a piece of prime rib. It's not the taste I'm looking for when I eat a steak.

It will be a great BBQ Rub however. GREAT JOB LARRY!!!!

Back
Top Bottom