Meatball Grindage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I finally popped for a meat grinder. The first time I used it, I ground up some chuck roast for burgers. It was so much better tasting than the hamburger meat you get at the market.

This time I wanted to try grinding meat for meatballs. I had a tri-tip and half a brisket in the freezer so after they were defrosted, I ground the meatball mix 50/50 brisket and tri-tip. Man it's a snap to do and the hamburger mix comes out nice and rich looking.

Anyway, after adding egg, Italian bread crumbs, onion, crushed red pepper flakes, some Worcestershire sauce, flat-leaf parsley, Parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper to the meat mix, it was ready to be rolled into balls.

The meatballs came out nice but I suspect that the flavor of the 50/50 mix of the meat was masked somewhat by the seasoning. I have more of the unseasoned mixture in the fridge so tonight I'm going to grill up some burgers and see how the flavor is on its own with just a little salt and pepper.

Balls on the grill over direct heat for crisping.

Balls moved to indirect side for finishing.

Finished balls in a bowl.

Balls on top of Spaghetti.

Sausage Maker's TSM-8 Electric Grinder . . . way cool tool!

Lew you have nice lookin' bal...... you know what I mean :LOL: :LOL: I have wanted to try grinding some Tri Tip with something else, but it is so expensive here ($5.99 a lb) I can't get past grilling, slicing and have it with rice and asparagus. That is a really nice looking grinder outfit.

Looks good Lew. Always wanted to try and smoke mb's before it hits the sauce.
Those pics give me a reason to try it. Good job!

Lew, just a word of caution, becareful when you put your balls on direct heat, they can stick and burn! I hate it when my balls stick! :shock:

Nick Prochilo said:
Lew, just a word of caution, becareful when you put your balls on direct heat, they can stick and burn! I hate it when my balls stick! :shock:

I heard Puffs balls fall through.

Back
Top Bottom