Knox's Yummy Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I used Knox's Yummy Chicken the first time on a couple thin chicken strips in a pan with some olive oil and loved it. So, yesterday I made a past of Yummy Chicken with Olive Oil and rubbed an 8lb roast thoroughly, under the skin and on top, with a little extra at the end. Let it marinade for about 6 hours. Then cooked indirect with only Royal Oak in the 350* range, approximately 3 hours. Again, this stuff is called 'Yummy' for a reason!

img_232325_0_167222dbb9b5e12f1ce8e0657cdec3a4.jpg

img_232325_1_f876e4a211f1db937464282a6254739a.jpg

While the chicken was cooking, Cathryn Kenivel did her balancing act in the garage while I enjoyed a few Boddingtons and Rocky Patels. I damn near at the Java one, sooooo tasty.
img_232325_2_8dca45bc4d012f351de89bda33837cdc.jpg

img_232325_3_6069441dd5d38e821b00d1ab1266c661.jpg

img_232325_1_f876e4a211f1db937464282a6254739a.jpg

Chicken is done, no cut up pic's but trust me......the chicken ROCKED.
img_232325_5_169eace68d567024f30d0b3f2a64eadb.jpg

img_232325_6_2c3e2bfb1a4ca3f2456b710cfbac8b01.jpg

Good Looking Chicken. Wish I had some right now, and I just got finished eating lunch.

ScottyDaQ said:
Looks great! I love the Yummy Chicken rub!

Where do you get it - I was going to try a bottle, but they want $5.00 shipping for a $5.95 4oz bottle of spices! Kinda ridiculous...

I've looked in local grocery stores and have not found it (SoCal).

ScottyDaQ said:
excellence ain't cheap.

Maybe not, but I am! At $11 for 4oz, that's $44/lb. I'll keep that kind of money for prime ribeyes and baby backs, and just enjoy these pictures. :)

Hmmm. Guessing the shipping has minimums maybe. Meaning if a person would buy twenty small bottles the shipping cost would remain the same as for buying only one. Now is this hot or warm?

bigwheel

Redflea said:
ScottyDaQ said:
excellence ain't cheap.

Maybe not, but I am! At $11 for 4oz, that's $44/lb. I'll keep that kind of money for prime ribeyes and baby backs, and just enjoy these pictures. :)

As a former BBQ Seasoning Company owner, buying online ain't cheap. Check out any online rub or sauce seller, shipping kills them and you.......but keep in mind 'you're helping the little man and not a huge company'. Like Bigwheel said, buy more and save on shipping. Shipping, tape, labels, ink, time, etc., are not free and Knox's is not a Fortune 500 Company (YET). So get a package or a couple bottles or rubs and sauces. Also check to see if Knox's is carried locally in your area. Or you could simply order Fatz Pig Powder for free shipping...........Or you could just get KC Masterpiece tater chips, put them in a food processor and call it a day. Your call.

Once you get to 5 jars shipping cost appears to remain the same. Shipping cost at Knox is very close to being inveresely proportinal to quantity ordered. When I shop at http://hawgeyesbbq.com/ or speciality flour stores I keep loading the basket until the shipping rate changes. There is a point where having the "little guy" ship speciality products is less expensive than buying inferior products locally.

Of greatest importance: you can email or call Knox, hawgeyes bbq, Woody Lynch, or Finney and get an immediate response.

Thats why all the sauce/rub merchants should just sell the recipe. Would save a bunch on shipping charges.

Larry Wolfe said:
Redflea said:
ScottyDaQ said:
excellence ain't cheap.

As a former BBQ Seasoning Company owner, buying online ain't cheap. Check out any online rub or sauce seller, shipping kills them and you.......but keep in mind 'you're helping the little man and not a huge company'. Like Bigwheel said, buy more and save on shipping. Shipping, tape, labels, ink, time, etc., are not free and Knox's is not a Fortune 500 Company (YET). So get a package or a couple bottles or rubs and sauces. Also check to see if Knox's is carried locally in your area. Or you could simply order Fatz Pig Powder for free shipping...........Or you could just get KC Masterpiece tater chips, put them in a food processor and call it a day. Your call.

KC Masterpiece in a food processor...hmmm....I do love BBQ chips... ;-)

I haven't found Knox locally, and no local stores for my area are listed on their web site. I have a couple other specialty stores to try, but it looks like online would be the only option.

I always try to support the little guy/local guy. We shop at a grocery store that sources from local farms/ranches, buy at farmer's markets, eat mostly at non-chain/locally owned restaurants, and my favorite BBQ sauce is from a small family vendor the next city over (Simmie J's - you can find them on the web) that luckily is available in a local store. Supporting small/independent businesses is a big part of my family - my wife's father was a small business owner, my step-father had his own business, both of my brothers are small business owners as is my sister's husband, my first cousin has his own business...in my family if you don't support small business, you don't get invited over for dinner. :)

But Knox's shipping costs for small orders are too high (for me) - likely they are hoping to drive larger purchases and improve their revenue/order, reduce their time spent on smaller orders. That's perfectly fine of course, it's their business to decide how to run. But I know you can ship 4oz for about a buck-fifty via USPS, add in 50 cents for packaging and I'd be happy at around $2. I can get a bottle, 12oz, of Texas Rib Rangers sauce for 1.30 shipping. And I'd prefer not to have to buy several bottles of stuff I've never tried just to amortize shipping costs, I already have a cupboard quite full of home made and store-bought rubs that makes my wife think I'm preparing to barbecue through a nuclear winter. ;-)

Funny, it's really not the money, as I'd never even miss the $5 from my wallet, but I grew up in a family that knew and taught the value of a dollar, and still don't like to waste them.

Now, if anyone else is making an order with Knox and will add in a bottle for me, I'll happily pay them spice cost + $2 shipping/handling if they'll send me a bottle of the yummy via USPS to try. :D

Back
Top Bottom