Is my grill too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maylar

Home Griller
I finally got a nice digital thermometer and spent a couple of hours profiling my grill. It's a 2 burner cast aluminum Sunbeam that I've had for years and finally got around to reconditioning it last summer. The temperatures I'm seeing seem a bit high (compared to my oven/range) and I'm curious if they are typical or if I'm going to have problems with slow cooking/smoking which is a new territory for me. I've been reading that I need to be at 230-250 for a few hours to successfully cook ribs for instance, and the grill doesn't go that low.

These are the results of my tests. Cover closed, center temp on the cook grill -

Time: 30 min, center 430, warming rack 355, both burners low
Time: 1 hr, center 264, warmer 250, one burner off, one low
Time 1:30, measured over the "off" side main grill 257, warmer 230

Does this look normal to you guys? With both burners on medium it'll peg a 500 degree thermometer.

TIA.

Dave it seems you would need to get it down below 300° and better yet below 250-275°. Most folks like to do ribs in the low to high range 225-300°. Someone else might have a suggestion on how to keep your temperature down.

Gas grills are tricky to do smoking on because they are built to get grilling hot, like the 500+ degrees. You got several measurements around 250 which is a good temp for ribs. Best way is to try a slab or two and post the results. Good luck!

If you can get an area on your cooking grid at 275, you can cook spare or bb ribs just fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom