In the market for new smoker. - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Master of All
 
ScottyDaQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In ur house, eatin ur foodz.
Posts: 7,490
First off.... What's the intended purpose?
__________________

__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker ?
Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold ?
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Saint O'Que
 
Gary in VA's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: McGaheysville, Virginia
Posts: 1,411
I have a Lang 84 deluxe. Bought it in 2003. Alot of Smoker for the $$. I have made lots of $$ catering & church fundraising with it as well as dragged it to many a competition. I would highly recommend the Lang.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I can certanly tell you the easy ways to make the bucks using it. It is a great machine.
__________________

__________________
Gary Cline
Gary's Barbeque
McGaheysville, Virginia

Barbeque. Sit back, relax, and let the smoke work it's magic!

You can't drink all day, unless you start in the morning.

Lang 84 Deluxe
Primo Oval XL
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22" One Touch Gold
Brinkman Smoke - n - pit Pro
Cheap Table Top Grill
Weber Silver Gasser - she left me on 9/11/10
Gary in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Graduate of BBQ Central
 
swampsauce's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 725
I just bought one of these... www.superiorsmokers.com
Using it for the first time today. Well made, can handle alot of meat. I have also owned a FEC100 and loved it as well. I think either one you cant go wrong. If you are looking foe a towed cooker I will let everyone else tell you about those. I owned a 6' Austin National Smoker and it was a great cookin machine. They are not in business anymore, but you can probably find a used one. Southern Yankee pits are similar to the Austin. Have fun "shopping", I do.
__________________
Tim Pattan
www.swampsauce.com
Swamp Sauce Smokers
https://www.bbq-4-u.com/images/facebook.png
swampsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc4464
Gary,
Would you say the 84 is too big for a weekend job for 7-10 folks? Because I was going to go with the 60 deluxe with char grill for that reason.
A weekend job for 7 - 10 folks? Save your money, buy a WSM!
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
DJ
BBQ Central Pro
 
DJ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 758
What he said!
dj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc4464
Gary,
Would you say the 84 is too big for a weekend job for 7-10 folks? Because I was going to go with the 60 deluxe with char grill for that reason.
A weekend job for 7 - 10 folks? Save your money, buy a WSM!
__________________
Native Texan.....Caldwell

www.djstexasstylebbq.com
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Graduate of BBQ Central


 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greenback, Tn
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc4464
Gary,
Would you say the 84 is too big for a weekend job for 7-10 folks? Because I was going to go with the 60 deluxe with char grill for that reason.
Most folks will advise you to buy more smoker than you need. My personal experience is that I've just ordered my 5th bigger smoker in 4 years. The amount you smoke seems to creep up as you decide to have more frinds over, then cook for a few friends in addition to your own needs, then maybe cater the neighbors BD party then the churches summer picnic, and so on.
__________________
East Tennessee = Almost Heaven South
Klose offset pit
Stumps Classic
Cabela gas vertical smoker
Ducane gas grill
https://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/
big dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Well offset pits are a giant pain in the coola. They make no sense from the point of physics...thermodynamics...logistics...frequency of tending or quality of finished product. They were invented by some smart feller to try to make a few bucks off cheap large bore pipe laying around the Jouston Ship Channel during the oil bust in the 70's. Far better choice in my view would be an insulated upright such as suggested by Big Dude. Several good ones out there. BWS's (Backwoods Smokers) are popular in this area but are way over injuneered in my book. Only seen pics of Stump's and Superior but know they have their adherents and should cook as well if not mo betta than the BWS. If you have no comp aspirations (which I didn't notice you mentioning in the post) would suggest considering an electric boosted cooker such as a Cookshack or small Oyler. Think our old pal Larry Wolfe could fix you up with a Cookshack. Course some of these choices is dependent on the size of your wallet When you really hit the big time you will need a Southern Pride or Ole Hickory.

http://www.jrmanufacturing.com/brochures/250fs.pdf

http://www.cookshack.com/residential-barbecue-smokers

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
Pope O'Que


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum
You could also start off with a $200 WSM and produce enough food for 7-10 people and produce "world championship" bbq while you are at it.
Now Paging Captain Morgan..Woodman......? They could probably tell you quite a bit about the WSM (and many others). You could easily fit enough food on the top rack for 7 - to - 10 people. That leaves a spare to do more! They're reliable for an overnight cook at home for us. I always watch my mine cause maybe Im anal, butt (ha) thats what I do. I think they call that the beer drinkin' time'.
__________________

__________________
One of the best things about my hobby is that my family and friends are fed well.
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×