In the market for new smoker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Lang 84 deluxe. Bought it in 2003. Alot of Smoker for the $$. I have made lots of $$ catering & church fundraising with it as well as dragged it to many a competition. I would highly recommend the Lang.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I can certanly tell you the easy ways to make the bucks using it. It is a great machine.

I just bought one of these... www.superiorsmokers.com
Using it for the first time today. Well made, can handle alot of meat. I have also owned a FEC100 and loved it as well. I think either one you cant go wrong. If you are looking foe a towed cooker I will let everyone else tell you about those. I owned a 6' Austin National Smoker and it was a great cookin machine. They are not in business anymore, but you can probably find a used one. Southern Yankee pits are similar to the Austin. Have fun "shopping", I do.

atc4464 said:
Gary,
Would you say the 84 is too big for a weekend job for 7-10 folks? Because I was going to go with the 60 deluxe with char grill for that reason.

A weekend job for 7 - 10 folks? Save your money, buy a WSM!

What he said!
dj

Nick Prochilo said:
atc4464 said:
Gary,
Would you say the 84 is too big for a weekend job for 7-10 folks? Because I was going to go with the 60 deluxe with char grill for that reason.

A weekend job for 7 - 10 folks? Save your money, buy a WSM!

atc4464 said:
Gary,
Most folks will advise you to buy more smoker than you need. My personal experience is that I've just ordered my 5th bigger smoker in 4 years. The amount you smoke seems to creep up as you decide to have more frinds over, then cook for a few friends in addition to your own needs, then maybe cater the neighbors BD party then the churches summer picnic, and so on.

Well offset pits are a giant pain in the coola. They make no sense from the point of physics...thermodynamics...logistics...frequency of tending or quality of finished product. They were invented by some smart feller to try to make a few bucks off cheap large bore pipe laying around the Jouston Ship Channel during the oil bust in the 70's. Far better choice in my view would be an insulated upright such as suggested by Big Dude. Several good ones out there. BWS's (Backwoods Smokers) are popular in this area but are way over injuneered in my book. Only seen pics of Stump's and Superior but know they have their adherents and should cook as well if not mo betta than the BWS. If you have no comp aspirations (which I didn't notice you mentioning in the post) would suggest considering an electric boosted cooker such as a Cookshack or small Oyler. Think our old pal Larry Wolfe could fix you up with a Cookshack. Course some of these choices is dependent on the size of your wallet:) When you really hit the big time you will need a Southern Pride or Ole Hickory.

http://www.jrmanufacturing.com/brochures/250fs.pdf

http://www.cookshack.com/residential-barbecue-smokers

bigwheel

gtsum said:
You could also start off with a $200 WSM and produce enough food for 7-10 people and produce "world championship" bbq while you are at it. :D

Now Paging Captain Morgan..Woodman......? They could probably tell you quite a bit about the WSM (and many others). You could easily fit enough food on the top rack for 7 - to - 10 people. That leaves a spare to do more! They're reliable for an overnight cook at home for us. I always watch my mine cause maybe Im anal, butt (ha) thats what I do. I think they call that the beer drinkin' time'. ;) :shock:

Back
Top Bottom