I don't get it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
Anybody ever see this? I'm cooking this rib roast Christmas Eve on the Kettle. I'm using those wire charcoal retainers and a foil pan in the center. The charcoal on the left side burns "lustily" throughout the cook. The charcoal on the right is anemic and burns erratically throughout. I had the vent in every possible location relative to the stuff. Also, I had equal position relative to the pan.I tried to "encourage" it by adding hotter briquests as well. Perhaps the bottom vent position? Do I position the charcoal "north/ south" as opposed to "east/ west?" It still cooked well, but uneven. Wood

Woody

I don't know what causes it but it sometimes happens to me. I'm thinkin' it has got to be the position of the bottom vent because that is the only variable I can not change once the cook starts. I can't remember if there was a breeze when it happened or not. I, also, agree with you, changing the position of the top vent makes no difference.

Griff

Perhaps the already burning coals are robbing the air and directing the currents away from the non lit coals. Just a thought.

i just pile the coals to one side and rotate the food halfway through

:(

I discussed this with my wife and she thinks it's spirits. She says if I lay off on the gin and whiskey I wouldn't have this problem. I say where's the fun in that.

Griff

Having had similar problems and pulled my hair out trying to solve it,
I believe the best way is to simply start a chimney with fresh coals, get
em going and add to the weak side.

Or call an Exorcist.

That's it. Tomorow night I'm grilling something over something soaked in peanut oil. You guys are gonna be sorry while I laugh my way to the bank!!

Git Ur Done said:
Its them dang Aliens messing around Watch your self Woodkettle

Ive had a similier problem and I find wearing a tinfoil hat and wrapping my left arm in foil while cooking wards off the spirits and makes the charchol burn evenly..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom