I am getting hooked - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Grilling
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Must not have much fat in the meat, Try heating a cast iron skillit on the grill put the pattys in the skillit to firm up for a min or 2 then grill to taste.

You could also try John A's method, Lay bacon under the meat.

Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer

BOY!

https://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Ahhh, the circle of life, it always comes back to bacon.

Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Pope O'Que

Re: I am getting hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango
on Buffalo. Grilled is my cooking choice stove top just looses something.

On the grill the burgers seem to fall apart. If you are not careful the bugger will just fall apart when you are ready to flip. that and some meat just sticks, well more then some sticks to the grill even with aerosol oil sprayed before had the meat just kind of wraps around the grill and locks itself on.

Any ideas to make my new found food fetish easier to manage on the grill?
Did the meat sear when it hit the grill? Or if it was at actual "room temperature" that could cause it to want to fall apart. I think also you are supposed to cook it really slow...............and yes, it is super lean meat 007 and sooooo yummy!
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Smoker

Re: I am getting hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango
on Buffalo. Grilled is my cooking choice stove top just looses something.

On the grill the burgers seem to fall apart. If you are not careful the bugger will just fall apart when you are ready to flip. that and some meat just sticks, well more then some sticks to the grill even with aerosol oil sprayed before had the meat just kind of wraps around the grill and locks itself on.

Any ideas to make my new found food fetish easier to manage on the grill?
Correct me, but you live in Hawaii. Your beef may have a much higher fat content than ours here on the continent.

Treat you grate like a cast iron pan, season it. I have a couple of brass brushes that I use to brush off the big stuff that sticks to the grate, but other than than usually don't scrub the grates super clean. I brush them down after the cook, and oil them just before the cook. Make sure the grates are hot before the meat is put on. Try brushing a little oil on the burgers themselves before you put them on as well.

I also use two spatulas when I am turning something that might fall apart or fall through the grates, like fish or veggies. I use one to backstop the burger for example and scoop it up with the other, and I sometimes use the second one to hold the burger and flip it, then slide it carefully off and back on to the grill. If your burgers have a lot of fat in them or if you mix onions, veggies or cheese in them they will fall apart if you try to flip them like the preformed frozen burgers from the store, they are delicate.

It takes a bit of skill to flip them right, practice. Grill as often as you can and you will learn to use the hot spots and the cooler areas of your grill to make it cook the way you want it to. You will discover insights about your grill you never knew before.

It is a lot easier to play "Stairway to Heaven" the thousandth time then it is the first.

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill
BchrisL is offline   Reply With Quote