How hot do you cook your steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigGQ

Sous Chef
I was watching the Food Network Steak Cookoff the other night and it looked like most of the cooks were cooking steaks at around 350 degrees. I found that different as I usually cook mine hot and fast on my Silver B, around 500 degrees. I can have a 3/4 to a one inch thick ribeye done medium in around 6 minutes, flipping once half way.

How hot do you cock your steaks? Give thickness, temp, time and preferred doneness.

The temp guage of my Weber gasser buries at 550 degrees, I wish it would get even hotter.

img_82372_0_8dfda3f174f76ac5738317b7e96fb04d.jpg

img_82372_1_19cf0a09778e0531b33a8154a66bc52b.jpg

img_82372_2_4305bf398205e4dd6a68c1c70ff972de.jpg

If cooking on the Weber Kettle, I usually will light a chimney full of Lump and dump that on one side of the grate and when it is going at it's peak, I'll throw the steaks on the cooking grate and sear them for 2-3 minutes, then flip and do the same, can usually get to Medium Rare in about 8-10 minutes total.

On my Weber gasser, I preheat for 20 minutes, when temp gauge says 500-550 I put the steaks on and basically follow the same procedure.

I check temps with therm and pull at 120 and let rest for about 10-15 minutes.

OR....

I rip his horns off, wipe his ass, and throw him on a plate.

Hot lump in one area of the kettle... Sear and then off. If they are REALLY THICK steaks (or someone doesn't like rare to med rare) I'll put them on the side of the kettle with no coals for a couple mins after the sear. Rest... eat.

I don't. I save it for the pros at the Hitching Post in Casmalia, CA. I get med/rare...and it's the best damn thing.

Helen, I eat steak at a restaurant about once a year...for the money, you can make a fantastic steak at home so easily....save some bucks for sushi!!

Captain Morgan said:
Helen, I eat steak at a restaurant about once a year...for the money, you can make a fantastic steak at home so easily....save some bucks for sushi!!

In the last year I have eaten steak 3 times. It's not my bag, baby.

Bryan S said:
Well i did some mods to my Smokey Joe Platnium to get the lump super hot for searing up steaks, but it still needs more. I'm guessing it's in the 800-1000 degree range at it's peak. :( I'm looking at adding a small fan to get into the 1500-1800 range. :D I talked to the maint guys at work the other day and they are going to let me borrow the infared temp gun to see how hot it is. 8)

Why? [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1yp50wgs][quote="Bryan S":1yp50wgs]Well i did some mods to my Smokey Joe Platnium to get the lump super hot for searing up steaks, but it still needs more. I'm guessing it's in the 800-1000 degree range at it's peak. :( I'm looking at adding a small fan to get into the 1500-1800 range. :D I talked to the maint guys at work the other day and they are going to let me borrow the infared temp gun to see how hot it is. 8)

Why? [smilie=a_whyme.gif][/quote:1yp50wgs]
Cause that's how it's done in them there fancy shmanchy high dollar steakhouses, Them steaks have that flavor we can never seem to get at home. It's a char thing with me ;)[/quote:1yp50wgs]

Bryan,

I think that the outcome of the steak has more to do with the grade of beef, and aging process that it goes through more than the temp it's cooked at.

Don't get me wrong though. A high temp is a factor, but I think that it's more minute than the other factors.

Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom