How bout a Flat Iron Steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Warden come home with two about 1 1/2 lbs each. Rectangular shape and maybe an inch thick in the middle. Appears to be some new gimmick to charge near 5 bucks a pound for sliced up chuck roast. The directions on the package say to give em a rub and cook 10-14 mins total over medium heat which supposed to cover rare to medium. Any other thoughts on the subject? Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Warden come home with two about 1 1/2 lbs each. Rectangular shape and maybe an inch thick in the middle. Appears to be some new gimmick to charge near 5 bucks a pound for sliced up chuck roast. The directions on the package say to give em a rub and cook 10-14 mins total over medium heat which supposed to cover rare to medium. Any other thoughts on the subject? Thanks.

bigwheel

Yeah, put some of that Wolfe Rub Bold you got sittin' on the counter and give it a try! Don't argue about it, just do it!!!! [smilie=dancing_cow.gif]

Ahh ok..sounds like an order. I must obey. The warden got me trained right huh?

bigwheel

Well sorry that round did not work out well. Next time you catch em on sale beat the snot out it with the sharp edge of an Old Hickory butcher knife on both sides..give a generous shake of salt n peppa..roll it in flour..then in an egg wash and back into the flour. Let it dry out a little and fry it up in Crisco. We call that chicken fried steak here in God's Country.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
sure as heck you have better luck than I had with my mystery meat.

bigwheel said:
Well sorry that round did not work out well. Next time you catch em on sale beat the snot out it with the sharp edge of an Old Hickory butcher knife on both sides..give a generous shake of salt n peppa..roll it in flour..then in an egg wash and back into the flour. Let it dry out a little and fry it up in Crisco. We call that chicken fried steak here in God's Country.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
sure as heck you have better luck than I had with my mystery meat.

Gravy recipe officially requested...
:?:

momma used to do em that way when I little, in her old electric
skillet. Lots of onions and cube steak gettin acquainted, then a
wonderful brown gravy on top.

I'm hungry.

ScottyDaQ said:

Since I am from Texas I feel that I can comment on the Gravy recipe.

Save about 1/4 cup of the oil that is left from frying all of the chicken fried steaks. I just pour off some of the oil leaving all of the residue for flavoring. The amount of oil you start with will determine how much gravy you will finish with.

Add flour to the oil and stir it until it makes a paste. You may have to shake in some flour a couple of times to get the cosistency right. You are really just making a roux.

Stir constantly with a wisk and watch the paste until it reaches the point where it is about to burn. When it turns a nice brown color and starts to smoke a bit, add milk. " You need to have the milk ready to go". I do this by feel so I don't know how much to tell you to add. If you are using a medium size cast iron skillet with the amount of roux specified then fill it to about half way with milk.

Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil for about a min. Stirring constantly " this will get the lumps out" and reduce heat. Let it simmer for about 20-30 min. covered and stir a couple of times.

Make sure you have some biscuits to pour it over also. :D

Bigwheel may have one better but this is gooooood.

Sounds good to me. Only thing I could add is for the grease ration sausage or bacon drippings give it the best flavor in my book...with chicken fried steak drippings coming in a close 3rd. For the milk try Pet condensed in the can mixed 50/50 with water. Gives it a certain laurapin taste regular old milk dont have. Thanks for the recipe.

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:
ScottyDaQ said:

Since I am from Texas I feel that I can comment on the Gravy recipe.

Save about 1/4 cup of the oil that is left from frying all of the chicken fried steaks. I just pour off some of the oil leaving all of the residue for flavoring. The amount of oil you start with will determine how much gravy you will finish with.

Add flour to the oil and stir it until it makes a paste. You may have to shake in some flour a couple of times to get the cosistency right. You are really just making a roux.

Stir constantly with a wisk and watch the paste until it reaches the point where it is about to burn. When it turns a nice brown color and starts to smoke a bit, add milk. " You need to have the milk ready to go". I do this by feel so I don't know how much to tell you to add. If you are using a medium size cast iron skillet with the amount of roux specified then fill it to about half way with milk.

Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil for about a min. Stirring constantly " this will get the lumps out" and reduce heat. Let it simmer for about 20-30 min. covered and stir a couple of times.

Make sure you have some biscuits to pour it over also. :D

Bigwheel may have one better but this is gooooood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom