Hey Rempe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why yes!! I did chicken thighs tonight for the first time! I used a chimney full of "Hardwood Lump Charcoal" from a hardware store on on the north side of Vine Street (Woodman reference). It came in a very plain brown bag and looks like burnt down sticks!

Anyway, fired up the chimney full and then dropped some un-lit for extra...then put the thighs on. They were the juciest thighs I have done to date...did both direct and indirect cooking.

Note: It seems that when I put the lid on, the coals seem to die down...but when the cover comes off they re-vive...obviously because of the air. Is this theame for everyone? Will the coals die even if the bottom vent is wide open? Thanks! :(

That's one of the great things about the design. If you're going full blast, and you have a flare up, all you need to do is put the cover on for a few seconds, and out goes the flare up.
I love the kettle.

No need for a spritz bottle any longer....for flares at least. :(

Greg,

No the coals won't go out if you put the lid on if the bottom vent is wide open, no more than they would on the WSM if the bottom vents were open. They'll humm along nicely in there as long as they are getting some air.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom