help / suggestions with char griller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
The chamber on the the duo is smaller than the Super Pro but the mods should be about the same.

If you don't have a list of them from other folks by the time I get back from Church tonight, I will hook you up. ;)

I'll tell ya' a few that have worked for me.
The rest I'll leave to Cliff.
Line the chamber with firebricks wrapped in foil to help hold temps better.
Extend the exhaust to grate level to help hold the heat in better.
Install a baffle where the heat comes in from the fire box so you can put food there without the worry of it getting burnt.
;)

Puff got most of them. The only thing I would add is that you are not going to have great luck burning all wood in the small firebox of a chargriller. It can be done but I think they are really to small and will run better using other methods.

This means that you need make a charcoal basket and get familiar with the Minion Method. I made a charcaol basket from a shaker basket found at Lowes.

Here is the thread:

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=shaker

The next thing is to go to great lengths to control the airflow into the firebox. Once you have the temps where you want them, oxygen becomes your enemy unless you can control it.

Put a screw in every empty screw hole you find anywhere on the smoker. You want as little air getting into the firebox as possibe unless you are the one letting it in.

I am not saying that it will happen to you but I had air feeding the fire from around the lid on the cook chamber. I sealed it up as best I could with a couple of mods. You can also use a bit of foil for stopping airflow.

Here are all the other mods I did on mine.

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic. ... riller+mod

Another thing I saw someone do on another site was flip the charcaol grate in the chamber up side down. Kind of like a tuning plate I think.
I never tried that one.

I wouldn't use a fan for the firebox. It would probably blow ashes on the food and take the temp way to high.
Put a therm at grate level away from the firebox end, leave the exhaust wide open, and tinker with the intake till you are at the right temp.

Back
Top Bottom