Help a noob choose a grill (Now with PHOTOS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidsmoke

Assistant Cook
Just bought a house and I'm looking forward to being able to grill. Currently living in a condo, in Northern Va and I'm not allowed to have a grill on my balcony. I'd prefer to get one unit for grilling/smoking if thats possible? I'm single, no children. So most of the time it'll just be me and a buddy that lives a few miles away. However the house has alot of deck, including a covered deck with outdoor fireplace on the back of the house so I'll probably entertain often. After reading through a bunch of posts here and on other sites I've narrowed it down to the following options.

1. Brinkmann Smoke n Pit Professional

or

2. WSM and a Weber performer or Weber 22 1/2 One touch gold.

I'd really prefer 1 "do it all unit" if such a thing exists. So if I'm just cooking for myself, I could grill up a steak and some veggies. Was thinking you could grill over the firebox on the Brinkmann, however I've read so much in the past few days that it might have been another grill. Suggestions?

Hey Kidsmoke...welcome aboard!

CLICK here for a good thread on Weber v Brinkman.

It is my thought that a WSM and kettle would be money well spent. You can use the WSM as a grill to if you break it down properly but between a gold one touch and a WSM you aint gonna see $500. Not to shabby for the years of service you'll get out of both!

Read through that thread, thats what convinced me to actually figure out what WSM stood for. 8-[ I did not realize you could grill right on the WSM. If thats the case, I could start with that. I would imagine that would serve me well and I may not even need to get anything else. Which would leave more money for home stereo equipment. :D

Welcome kid. Very informative guys here, just note that they are also
smart a$$'s. Don't let any jokes bother you, and ask away. There's no ill feelings on this board, just a bunch of jokers.

I'd ask Larry Wolfe about grilling on the wsm.....I've never done it,
and I grill a lot more than smoke.

If your budget is lean, I'd get a weber kettle grill with an ashcatcher.
It's possible to get good smoke flavor from those.

I guess the main thing is what will you be cooking? Plan on smoking
pork butts and beef briskets?

Captain Morgan, I would like to get into smoking butts, brisket, ribs. But I imagine most of the time I would be grilling. Unless I become addicted to the smoking.

Greg Rempe said:
Kidsmoke,

HERE is a good reference on how to grill on the WSM! Hope it helps!

Very helpful. Until I got to the pictures of the steak and got distracted. But with the mods there, it would be pretty simple to grill on it and still be able to smoke when I wanted to.

I'm kinda in the same boat with Kidsmoke, but different. Want a Charcol Smoker/Grill combination, but already own a nice gas grill. I have a Weber Silver B gas grill, best gas grill I have ever owned, but not much for smoking. Looking for a complimentary charcol grill to smoke and grill.

I have cooked on a CharGriller, without the offset smoke box, several times and found it to be a quality cooker. It holds temp long and steady, seems to be well built and moderately priced. Have thrown chunks in with the charcol and seen smoke rings and tasted smokey flavors. Can only imagine how much better it would be with the offset. I'm am leaning towards buying one because it offers the versitility I'm looking for in a charcol grill/smoker combination.

I have also owned a Brinkman smoker bullet. Tryed to grill with it, but not much luck. Too little and not good temp control. Not knocking the Brinkman Smoker, have made some good que on it, but it was made for smoking, not grilling. I will agree, the WSM is a much better smoker. But again, that is what is made to do, smoke.

I will be cooking at Smoke On The Beach, in Myrtle Beach, SC, this weekend. Several guys on the team are using WSM smokes to cook, including Larry. Hopefully they will school me on the WSM and grilling. I will be evaluating and asking questions. I will wait to make my decision after consulting, with my soon to be new friends, this weekend.

Will post my decision sometime next week, if you are interested.

Big G,

Larry will be able to tell you all you need to know about the WSM and grilling. I have a Silver B gasser and a WSM...you won't find a better combo for backyard grilling, smoking and charcoal grilling. Unless you get a GatorPit that is! :!:

If you're gonna get a Weber kettle, make sure to get the Gold.
The ash collection system alone is worth the price difference.

Plus the added features.
A hinged grate for adding fuel.
An additional handle (makes moving easier). And more.

Or step up to the Performer which offers gas assisted starting,
a work surface and onboard charcoal storage.

-YB

Make sure it's the 22.5 " too...The Weber Rotis only comes in this size. :!:

Alot of good feedback. Think I'll run by Lowes this weekend and check out the Char-griller before making my final decision. Looking forward to your feedback BigGQ.

kidsmoke said:
Alot of good feedback. Think I'll run by Lowes this weekend and check out the Char-griller before making my final decision. Looking forward to your feedback BigGQ.
Amazon.com has been having the Char-griller in it's Friday sale the last two weeks. Sorry I don't remember how much it was. Check this Friday and see if it is back on sale. :!:

BGE or Primo ceramic grills would would be a good choice if you want only one grill. Great for grilling and does low and slow well also.
Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom