Grilled Spares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
Last night around 5:30, I got a wild hair and decided I wanted to grill something so off to the store I went. I found a nice rack of spares on sale so I picked them up and brought them home, opened and rinsed with cold water. I didn’t trim, just removed the membrane. Once the membrane was off, I sprinkled with salt and pepper then added some Wolfe Bold and on the grill they went. As I was enjoying a cold beverage while the ribs started to cook, I happened to look over at my lemon tree and thought “I wonder how lemon would taste on the ribs?” so I picked one, cut into quarters and squeezed some on, I did this about every twenty minutes and ended up using the whole lemon. Once the ribs were about a half hour away from coming off, I basted with some jacked up Sweet Baby Rays. Overall they were pretty good and the lemon added an interesting taste. Next time I do spares on the smoker I’m gonna try a rack with lemon juice.

On the grill just after added lemon juice.
img_195448_0_c41424b0fe974d918d415e76f566778c.jpg

On the grill and basted with Sweet Baby Rays.
img_195448_1_dfadc41241a116f2a97f6831e8617b79.jpg

Off the grill and ready to dig in.
img_195448_2_5fe2c262824bdc3f8e05ce7ada82d9ee.jpg

They look good. What was the biggest difference in your opinion between this method and your usual method as far as flavor and tenderness.

surfinsapo said:
They look good. What was the biggest difference in your opinion between this method and your usual method as far as flavor and tenderness.

I do prefer my ribs cooked on the smoker as the slow cook leads to a more tender rib, these were good but not as moist as I like. I'll definitely try using lemon juice again though. What I need to do is kick in some money for Larry's rub ingredients because I would live to try Wolfe Citrus with lemon juice and I'm out of his citrus rub now.

Back
Top Bottom