grilled corn on cob advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I'm going to do a tri-tip this evening on the kettle and wanted to grill some corn on the cob. I've never done this before and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I usually just nuke the ears husk and all. I have peeled the husk back and removed the silk, then fold the husk back around the corn and grill after a good soaking. A lot of people just soak and grill the whole ear. Its all good. :D

Smear with butter, s&p, wrap in foil, cook for 20 minutes. Right before grilling roll them over the hot grill to get a little char.

Finney said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Smear with butter, s&p, wrap in foil, cook for 20 minutes. Right before grilling roll them over the hot grill to get a little char.
FOIL?!?!?!?
8-[ Yes................. :) The butter really penetrates the kernels like that. :nerd:

Desilk the ears, soak in water, pull the husks back, wrap the corn in bacon like a candy cane, pull the husks back up and cook indirect for about an hour...The bacon gives the corn a nice flavor.

I never soak--they don't really absorb much water, if any. I remove the husk till the last single leaves covering the kernals and don't bother de-silking. Grill, direct or indirect or a combo of both, depending on the heat and how high I've banked coals. The remaining husk leaves add some protection to the kernels at the beginiing of cooking but dry and shrink allowing the exposed kernels to caramelize a bit. The silk, because it dries completely, is easily removed with a simple tug. Serve with chipotle mayo and lime.

K Kruger said:
I never soak--they don't really absorb much water, if any. I remove the husk till the last single leaves covering the kernals and don't bother de-silking. Grill, direct or indirect or a combo of both, depending on the heat and how high I've banked coals. The remaining husk leaves add some protection to the kernels at the beginiing of cooking but dry and shrink allowing the exposed kernels to caramelize a bit. The silk, because it dries completely, is easily removed with a simple tug. Serve with chipotle mayo and lime.
I just recently tried this. Way better than I expected. I'll be doing it again.

What about those worms that you see when you shuck the corn? Wouldn't they end up cooked as extra bits of protein if you don't pull the husks back and desilk them?

We've always wrapped them in foil with a bit of butter, sometimes add in a bit of garlic powder and grill them that way.

I elected to go with the buttered and de-husked cob straight on the grill. It was real tasty. My wife who grew up on a farm in the Midwest was amazed as she had never before had corn grilled like this. Really tasty. I going to do this again soon and put some Wolfe Rub on the corn. The local butcher had some tri tip so I did that to go with corn on the kettle over lump.

Later today I'm doing a Griff loaf.

Griff

Griff said:
I elected to go with the buttered and de-husked cob straight on the grill. It was real tasty. My wife who grew up on a farm in the Midwest was amazed as she had never before had corn grilled like this. Really tasty. I going to do this again soon and put some Wolfe Rub on the corn. The local butcher had some tri tip so I did that to go with corn on the kettle over lump.

Later today I'm doing a Griff loaf.

Griff

Griff, perfectly done!!!! Wow that looks good!!

Cliff has got a good suggestion about the Old Bay for corn on the cob! That's a favorite here too. Boil a big pot of water with LOTS of Old Bay and boil till just done. A good spicy treat!

Peeeeeerfect! I wish I had some of that right now =P~

P.S., Finney said I could fly with him and Larry, but i'd have to ride in the luggage compartment #-o

Puff said:

P.S., Finney said I could fly with him and Larry, but i'd have to ride in the luggage compartment #-o

Yeah we need someone to keep tract of my wheelchair. Man if that got lost your back would hurt!!!! :eek:

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:

Yeah we need someone to keep tract of my wheelchair. Man if that got lost your back would hurt!!!! :eek:
That would a helluva load to tote around :eek:

How big of a suitcase do you have? :-k Or maybe a coffin :eek: On second thought you wouldn't let me out #-o

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom