Grill Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys finishing up the smoker portion of my smoker trailer in the next week or so and getting ready to put together the grill part of the trailer. But, I'm having trouble deciding if I want to make the grill propane or charcoal. I've been going back and forth because they both have their pros and cons. I love the taste charcoal gives a peice of meat and its what I have always personally used at home, but then I love the little hassle that comes with the propane and how much eaiser it is to get a grill up to those high tempatures. Any thoughts on the subject? Like I said I'm having a hard time to making a decision any thoughts would be awesome. And don't worry pictures are to follow my friends.

Well I have been playing around with charcoal all my adult life starting at about age 9 and the only good thing I can say about it is forget about it. It is a peece o sheet substance which aint fit for human consumption. If you use the stuff best thing you can hope for is it dont make the meat taste funny. Go Propane young man Propane. If you want to dazzle em scoot a cast iron skillet full of hickory chunks over one of the burners. Look at charcoal as heat. If it contains some beneficial flavor or odor it is out of my sensory range to detect it. Now this is leaving out some of variants of various brands (Kingsford for example) which have real wood shavings in there. I heard the hickory is good..and know Big Dave put a lot of green in his wallet using the Mesquite version on dead chickens. So let us not spat on that deal..lol.

Combo isn't a bad idea but I would prefer to do the grill all one heat source. I do love my Kingfords though but propane is just soo simpy haha Ahhh I never though it would be this difficult to make this choice. If I was to do the propane where could I go to get the inside set up for the burners and tanks?

Depending on how much room you have to work with might be you could drop in one of those big gaseous grills like Buck bought here while back. Looks like you could cook burgers for the neighborhood on that deal. I saw one at Albertsons the other day..seems like was two hundred and some change. Here is a link to one sorta similar at Academy Sport. I think just take off the legs and side wings and stick it down in there. Knobs would have to be above the sides of the pit or run through it some way. http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... N=77985508

bigwheel said:
Depending on how much room you have to work with might be you could drop in one of those big gaseous grills like Buck bought here while back. Looks like you could cook burgers for the neighborhood on that deal. I saw one at Albertsons the other day..seems like was two hundred and some change. Here is a link to one sorta similar at Academy Sport. I think just take off the legs and side wings and stick it down in there. Knobs would have to be above the sides of the pit or run through it some way. http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... N=77985508

Thats a beautiful grill a little more then I want to spend...My buddy and I had this idea to make the grill out of a 55 gallon drum and then buy the propane set up and the grill plate for it...kind of to give it a different look and a look that would go better with our 250 gallon smoker. Wheels you think that would work? I got about 3 feet or so to play with.

Well didnt realize you was on such a tight budget on the project. Are you speaking of splitting the barrel and laying it sideways maybe? If so would think the best solution would be a pipe burner that would span the distance and have a little sheet metal canopy over the top to protect the burner from dripping grease. You can build the burner yourself. It just a pipe with some little holes drilled in it in the the right places and size etc. Sure you could google up how to do it.

Not really on a tight budget just don't want to spend that much on a grill when I could build something that will last longer. But, I will definitely try that pipe idea you got there it seems like it should work. Thanks wheels your a god among men sir.

Back
Top Bottom