Greek Chicken Pitas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
Posted this on another board, here it is for you the guys who don't travel much 8) . End to end these are a bit of work but real good. If you like garlic and you haven't tried these give em a go!

I got my hands on some Nature's own lump and grilled boneless skinless thighs marinated overnight. Turned out great, I love this meal! I've mentioned it a few times so I took some pics.

I liked the charcoal, it was very good, but at $25/18lbs I will stick with Maple Leaf Lump and save $5. I threw in a little hickory for some wood smoke while grilling.

It took a while to trim the thighs ... fat blobs and stringys and check for bones/cartiledge inside, trim external fat ... but it sure makes a great finished product. I like thighs for this more than breast meat. Juicy and tasty.

Rested a bit after grilling then thin sliced at the table immediately before dropping on to each person's pita.

After overnight marinade, just before grilling, (Club House Greek Seasoning, water, olive oil):

WW pita, tzatziki, flat parsley, romaine, roma tomato, greek olives, feta, sweet marinated onions and thin sliced garlic, sliced chicken:

I use AB's recipe (it's in the Gyro thread) ... for chicken I omit the mint and use white wine vinegar instead of red

I use a 6% mf yogurt:

and I drained it about 16hours, wrung the bejeezus out of the cucmuber too ... the sauce was thick, creamy and almost hot with garlic:

Here are the other bits to how I made these:

Marinade
equal volumes of Club House One Step Greek Seasoning*, water, oil (I've used canola and olive, prefer olive)

Mix water and seasoning, allow at least 30 minutes for seasoning to hydrate.
Mix in oil, add chicken, mix well.
Marinate overnight stirring well once or twice to ensure full coverage.

Grilling
just a note to have everything in place before you start ... with the added oil from the marinade this can easily turn into a five alarm blaze

Marinated Onions and Garlic
1 large onion peeled, halved, sliced
2 - 8 large cloves garlic sliced see through thin lengthwise
1/4C vinegar
1/4C olive oil
1t sugar
2T Clubhouse One Step Greek Seasoning*

Mix vinegar, sugar and seasoning. Allow at least 30 minutes for seasoning to hydrate.
Add oil, shake well.
Add onions and garlic, shake well.
Make at least 3 hours ahead of time, shake container several times.
Best made same day and this only keeps for another day maybe two.

*Club House One Step Greek Seasoning Ingrediants

I think this is not a brand available in the US, here are the ingrediants if you want to look for something comparable:

Dehydrated Vegetables(Garlic, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Onion, Red Bell Pepper), Salt, Sugar, Spice (including Red Pepper), Citric Acid, Sodium Acetate, Modified Coconut Oil, Acetic Acid, Calcium Silicate, Flavor, Disodium Inosinate & Guanylate, Ascorbic Acid, Sulphites

AB's Tzatziki Sauce
16 ounces plain yogurt
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
Pinch kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Back
Top Bottom